Would you help me set up Arborist section in hardware store?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DBsport

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello. I am adding an arborist supply section to the hardware store I work at. We are already an Husqvarna dealer and are looking for input on what products to carry. I've spoken with several of our customers, but thought I ask this body for recommendations.

Thanks for your answers.

Here's some of what we are considering:

True Blue 1/2" x 150'
True Blue 1/2" x 600'

Bungee Chainsaw Strap

Buckingham Steel Climbers - Not sure what shank length

Helmet w/visor and ear protection

True Blue is my favorite but I would carry Aporplex for the low side and a few more other brands. Depending on where your at 120' and 150' lengths are about the norm if you don't want to invest and stock 600' reels. Some self locking three way snaps or carabiners. Some split tails, throw bags, and a few different lanyards should help out as well.

call Sherill's, get like a franchise setup, then you can fast order for the guys that come in.
you have necessities likes ropes, and basic climbing gear, etc.. and then you have frills. I see it, I want it, I buy it.
spikes and saddles, mean inventory that ain't cheap. how much stock are you going to start with?
you need lots of rope, bull rope, climbing rope, good and cheap.
My hats off to ya for doing it, it is so hard to find any thing tree related in a store.

A big ole sign explaining the risks and liability involved to people that will be coming in and buying this stuff with no experience?

It's hard to compete with the internet guys on price and since most guys are very specific on the equipment they use, you'd have to carry large inventory. Most of the locals around here that stock arborist stuff have had it sitting on the shelf gathering dust.
Phil

Thanks for the replies.

To answer and/or reply to some of the comments:

Ordering $1,000 of inventory.

Considering an order with SunBelt.

We have had multiple tree companies ask us to carry products and have placed orders for some.

I was hoping to get some specific brands/items you guys use that would sell and not collect dust.

Thank you.

Ordering $1,000 of inventory.

I was hoping to get some specific brands/items you guys use that would sell and not collect dust.

Thank you.
That is going to be tough to get a worthwhile inventory with $1000.

My thinking of the minimum that you need to stock if you want a worthwhile stock of equipment:

*3-4 climbing rope models. Probably buy spools so you can cut custom lengths - that in itself would draw clients in. Offer eye splicing for one end, and it gets more attractive.
*1-2 bull ropes (see above comments regarding lenghts).
*Throwlines (again get a big spool) and throw weights.
*5-6 different models of hand saws. Silky is good stuff.
*2-3 models of pole saws - maybe one of the Silky extending saws and Jameson poles with all the fittings and heads
*2-3 hand pruners
*5-6 different models of carabiners (both for climbing and rigging)
*3-4 saddles (one low range, one mid range, and one high dollar) in at least 2 sizes each
*2 models of spikes
*2-3 options for flip lines/working possition lanyard

Some of the things that I'd rather buy local instead of the internet:
*Saddle - need to try it on. However, this is not an often purchased item.
*Pesticide equipment/products. (ESPECIALLY if I can talk to somebody about: "tell me my options to control __________" and be able to walk out with the solution.)
*Fertilizers (these can be expensive to ship)
*Spray equipment (but decent sprayers cost $2000 for very low end and go on up from there...).
*Arborwear clothes.
*Nylon loops (cheap and has many uses, if they start to look worn, I replace them)
*Parts to repair eqipiment (I want to be back up this afternoon...not have to wait for shipping): Chainsaws, chipper knives, stumper teeth, sprayer parts, etc... Figure out which models your best clients have and their parts always on hand.
*Consumables: bar/chain oil, chainsaw chain, files, etc...
*Safety equipment (glasses, ear protection, hard hats, Hi-viz shirts, etc...)

I gotta think that if you stock the "techy" type of equipment, you can make a lot off of guys that always think they need the latest...but a lot of folks aren't interested in it, and it isn't cheap to stock. Figure out if you have any of those guys in town and stock accordingly.

As somebody mentioned above: KNOWLEDGE is worth a lot. If you can help folks figure out what they need and WHY, than you will get returning clients.

Dan pretty much summed it up with, "sales personal who know what they are selling." I respect the fact that you want to grow a business and are looking for advice to do so. But to really be able to sell arborist supplies you need knowledge and a background within the industry. $1,000 will not get your very far for inventory. I am guessing most fully equipped climbers, rigging gear included, have $1,500-$5000+ tied up in gear alone? Anyone want to add to that one?

Dan pretty much summed it up with, "sales personal who know what they are selling." I respect the fact that you want to grow a business and are looking for advice to do so. But to really be able to sell arborist supplies you need knowledge and a background within the industry. $1,000 will not get your very far for inventory. I am guessing most fully equipped climbers, rigging gear included, have $1,500-$5000+ tied up in gear alone? Anyone want to add to that one?

Yep,

Echo saw $330
Buckingham Gaffs $180
Saddle $150
Climbing Rope $100
Old Climbing rope/rigging rope $100
3 Jameson poles with both saw and slingshot attachement $150?
Wooden pruner pole with Marvin pruner $30?
Pacific Hard Hat $100
about 4 carabiners $40?
16" Hoffman boots $300 (need the 16" for my busted shin)
Rope bag $40
Throw bag and string $15
ISA Study Guide and misc DVDs $100?+

Total for one guy $1635.00
The ISA stuff, tall boots, and Pacific hard hat may be eliminated or a lot cheaper version can be had, but even without those three things your still looking at $1135 for one guy. Plus my saddle, ropes, and gaffs are on the cheaper side of things.

It would help out to have a few things but to be honest the few dealers here in Kansas City don't stock much and therefore I don't bother driving to them when I can get what I need online. Plus the one dealer has had the same piece of Arborplex for 4 years. Nylon and Polyester breakdown and I think a rope looses something like 5% a year in strength even it's stored correctly. But with good selection I would shop local. As someone else mentioned it would be nice try on a saddle before buying it.

Last edited:
Hello. I am adding an arborist supply section to the hardware store I work at. We are already an Husqvarna dealer and are looking for input on what products to carry. I've spoken with several of our customers, but thought I ask this body for recommendations.

Thanks for your answers.

Here's some of what we are considering:

True Blue 1/2" x 150'
True Blue 1/2" x 600'

Bungee Chainsaw Strap

Buckingham Steel Climbers - Not sure what shank length

Helmet w/visor and ear protection

Just for some odds and ends, you should get some wedges (I'm sure you have small sludge hammers at your hardware store. Wedges come in handy in many situations.

Next get some of the Jameson pole sections. I think they run for like 40$ a piece (not wholesale I'm sure you should get them cheaper) Get hooks, for the poles. Saws that you can bolt on the end of the hooks. Pruner heads. (we call this stuff "hanger polls" We use them to pull hangers out of trees that the operators can't reach.

Bull ropes are always a good idea. Climbing rope. Chain saw files. Snatch blocks (false crotch).

I will post more the more I can think of. I'd appreciate some rep if this information was informative to you.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Definitely stock up on chaps. Make sure you get several different sizes so people can actually buy pairs that will fit them and cover a smal portion of there feet and ankles. Don't forget the rep. I'll keep thinking of more items for you to add to your store and post them.

I'd add a small selection of split tails:
1/2" 3' with spliced eye for blake's and tautline basic, you could make these out of the climb line reels as needed.
Some bee line or other of the smaller cord for making the more fancy hitches.
One or two micro pulleys.

I reckon all my kit, climbing and rigging and saws amounts to about $5000.

Your selection range and inventory really depends on demand...I'd concentrate on the high wear items and the must have items for stock, and hook up with a supplier for the other stuff you can order in at short notice.

There is this guy around here that opened up an arborist supply shop last year. He seems like a good guy but has no clue. He's got a couple spools of this rope that I've never seen before, one that really bothers me is this 3/4" candy red bull rope (at least its supposed to be) that he says is rated at 11k or 13, something like that. What a gay rope. I tried to explain that the 3/4' DB I have is like 20+, he just doesnt seem to get it. If I'm gonna haul up a big a$$ed rope it had better have some backbone to it.

He's got alot of those queer little first aid kits everywhere too....lol.

Some slings that are like 4' long or so, thats another good one.

He is good with saws and has chains at least.

We have another supply house about 40 mins away that is almost as good as sherrill, so i usually just go there. Its pretty cool, just a bunch of old hippys really. On one recent trip they had some Physical Graffity jamming in the store. Some specialty stuff still needs to be ordered from sherrill though.

But I guess what I'm saying is a G note aint gonna cover it. As the saying goes: half measures availed us nothing...or some s#!t.

Really seems like you are ready to sell firewood cutting and processing stuff with that amount. Files, wedges, ppe- chaps, glasses, gloves, hearing protection, log handling tools, etc.

These can be used by more people.

It could be a great place to start. Investigate your market more. Exactly what do people want stocked? How much time between replacements (if someone ordered a rope online in the meantime, how long until they will actually buy another one from you)?

You don't want to lose your regular professional customers to people that figure that they will just buy the stuff, use it, and sell it. Also, it could get homeowners in way too deep for their own good.

Latest posts

Back