Would you help me set up Arborist section in hardware store?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is this guy around here that opened up an arborist supply shop last year. He seems like a good guy but has no clue. He's got a couple spools of this rope that I've never seen before, one that really bothers me is this 3/4" candy red bull rope (at least its supposed to be) that he says is rated at 11k or 13, something like that. What a gay rope. I tried to explain that the 3/4' DB I have is like 20+, he just doesnt seem to get it. If I'm gonna haul up a big a$$ed rope it had better have some backbone to it.

:laugh: "What a gay rope." I'm gonna be useing that saying a lot over the next few years. Thats a f##king awesome statement. That cracks me up :laugh

There is a military surplus store here in Kansas City that sells a so called Arborist climbing line. It's some cheesy brand I've never heard of and I think it's made in China. If memory serves me right, I believe it was red too. If I was useing it to break out of a Turkish prison I would trust it, but for everyday tree work with too much to live for, no way in hell.

:laugh: "What a gay rope." I'm gonna be useing that saying a lot over the next few years. Thats a f##king awesome statement. That cracks me up :laugh

There is a military surplus store here in Kansas City that sells a so called Arborist climbing line. It's some cheesy brand I've never heard of and I think it's made in China. If memory serves me right, I believe it was red too. If I was useing it to break out of a Turkish prison I would trust it, but for everyday tree work with too much to live for, no way in hell.

I'm telling you, its messed up, I've never seen any of the ropes this guy carries anywhere before. Maybe it is china where he gets em :confused:

He's also got the stihl pole pruner/saw kit for sale. He's got the blade on that backwards, lol

At least he's trying though. The thing that bothers me is every time I try to explain whats wrong with something, he tells me how much of this junk he sells like that validates it somehow.

Thanks again for all the posts.

As stated, the store already carries chain saws, chains, mauls, etc.. About $2,000 worth of inventory, specific to our tree service customers, has been added.

Need to get the word out, but sold some True Blue and carabiners so far.

I appreciate all the expert advice and recommendations.

Been awhile, but last time i saw a Sunbelt catalog, i considered the prices a lil'high and it never had the most latest safety krabs etc.

It is nice to have gear, but; it can be a slow mover; and anything small could get 'lost' so should be locked... The main thing would be to carry expendable items; that yielded fair cash flow for the space they occupy and have high visibility. Rope and krabs are a fair start. Small slings are an expendable, small item too; but might have to develop that market. i'd consider maillon links and prussick cords, metal safety snaps, rope thimbles, wedges, start a book shelf of knots for sale etc., throw bags, throwline become expendable items too. Maybe a peavey/ cant hook, couple of curved Corona hand saws(talk up and test water for Silkys), a curved leather scabbard.

Some of above are less expendable, but small; and could have a larger target area than just arborists. Many industries could use tough, strong arborist (and other) rope and hardware, so try to let word out to farmers, boyscouts, hobbyists of all sorts, boaters etc. you have different types of rope and hardware, L-earn some knots yourself. Get bright colored ropes and white to give choice and the contrasting, bright colors layed out, hung so they have to get your attention on their own. Everytime anyone comes thru even half related to the gear and doesn't find something, write it down!

One of Jerry Beraneck's topping a tree at 150' that is still 7' in diameter; with his foot in a cast; can be a fair, cheap, attention getting background. You'd be best to support area advancemeant in climbing; to sell more stuff (computer lynx to free materials showing latest lines, knots, techniques, hang line with different named knots in it etc.). Keep eye open for local arborist that would be lit on fire by these ideas, and good Natured and appreciative enough to give ideas and talk it up!

Rope is the biggest, most expendable, abused, should be able to get on the fly and not risk life, limb or property because lost, compromised etc. i totally commend, and appreciate locals trying to have it there in case someone needs it right now as an option of doing something even less intelligent...

Last edited:
Back