Would you re-use this piston?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuinrearview

Red saw lover
Reaction score
To start, I've already ordered a Meteor because this saw will get sold once repaired. I got to looking at the piston and thought if I were keeping this saw, I would probably try the piston. The rings were still free, and none of the scratches can be felt with a fingernail. The damage came from the crank bearings, which both have some play. There is no visible damage to the cylinder. I lightly sanded with 340 grit and scotch brited it. I've been curious lately what would run with damaged and cleaned up pistons, and what wouldn't.
20181213_083049.jpg 20181213_083043.jpg 20181213_085054.jpg 20181213_085042.jpg

That piston would run for a good long time if run on 40:1 mix, I would run it in one of my own saws but not bother putting it in a saw I would sell as one never knows how it will be run or looked after once sold.
That was kind of my reason for not using it. Or if the next owner took it to a shop for work.

When I sell a saw I make the buyer look at the piston through the exhaust port and take a pict of it as I only sell saws face to face. They get to try the saw out first in a piece of log to see and feel how it runs etc. This has saved me more than once from them straight gassing at least two saws I can think of then they came back complaining the saw would not start or not stay running etc. Few of the people I sell saws to know what a good or a bad piston would look like so I take the time to educate them. Would be difficult if selling online or just shipping a saw out to someone but I still would take a pict of the piston with the saw adjacent to that days newspaper and the box it was actually being shipped in. If the new owner were to look at the piston they could compare it to the pict ,but a shop would actually know more about the condition and likely fail your piston due to the streaks on it..

Probably not depending on the saw. If it was for a keeper and I wasnt tearing it down I would run it.

It had little wear before the failure. If you look close you can see the machining marks before I cleaned it.
If it’s your own saw, run it like you stole it! I’ve done that same thing and still use a 350 with a salvaged piston, cuts like a scalded dog! :cool:

I picked up an 036 cylinder a while ago that is missing some plating, but it looks like it ran that way a long time. Maybe I'll use that cylinder with this piston on one of the 034 chassis I have around. I'd planned on sticking a cheap AM pop up in it but now the gears are turning...

You have it apart , new rings are 12 bucks, 23 more and you have a new piston. But that is just my way of thinking. And every saw I fix may be sold at some point. I have tried enough China junk not to put one of their pistons in anything. I have a 440 kit that locked up with 50 to 1 gas and Stihl oil. only a few tanks. I have one of the 660 blue saws that is still running, but it is on 25 to 1 mix.

You have it apart , new rings are 12 bucks, 23 more and you have a new piston. But that is just my way of thinking. And every saw I fix may be sold at some point. I have tried enough China junk not to put one of their pistons in anything. I have a 440 kit that locked up with 50 to 1 gas and Stihl oil. only a few tanks. I have one of the 660 blue saws that is still running, but it is on 25 to 1 mix.
First line of the first post.

I was just curious if I *could*. I agree with you though, they all could go down the road one day. I still haven't played enough with AM parts(other than meteor pistons and Nachi mains) to let anything leave with them in it. I don't have regular customers and I don't service fleets. I'm still very much learning what is a hobby in my spare time. I'm not yet to the point where I can draw as much from experience as I am using care and caution. I thought this thread would satisfy a little curiosity that I've had, but also maybe help some poor guy that's broke or in a pinch down the road.

There is nothing wrong with this piston. Those little scuffs and scratches are simply cosmetic. Up close you can clearly see the knurling lines from the factory, from top to bottom, which indicates it is still meets spec as a new piston. Most will pull the muffler to see less (worn down past the machine lines, shiny and smooth) and are happier about it.
20181213_101648.jpg 20181213_101748.jpg
A brass wire brush works well to clean these things up while still preserving the machine lines.

Latest posts

Back