Would you use this cylinder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tickhound93

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I got an ms460 had some transfer, I sanded it off and practiced with my new hone I put together. What do you guys think?1455396742946-2098193210.jpg 1455396941519-1865743513.jpg

Attachments

• 14553970748492129980156.jpg
    14553970748492129980156.jpg
    908.6 KB · Views: 39
I want some collective advice, I think its runnable. Its also for sale ha. Working on another one right now so if someone needs one let me know

I used 180 grit by hand, then went to 240 hone. I really don't want to sand anymore. That is about a combined total of 45 seconds with a hone. I don't like honing used bores too much. Even though itnisnt a rigid hone it doesn't take a lot to remove a thousandth too much. What would you donlone wolf?

I used 180 grit by hand, then went to 240 hone. I really don't want to sand anymore. That is about a combined total of 45 seconds with a hone. I don't like honing used bores too much. Even though itnisnt a rigid hone it doesn't take a lot to remove a thousandth too much. What would you donlone wolf?
I use Emory doubled up on a rod with a split in it to hold it on a drill, and just keep going till the scratches that you cant feel with a fingernail. I can post a pic of the home made steel rod if you need me to. Then finish buffing after all is done with scotch brite. You need to spend more time on it and I dont recommend a hone at all.

I got the same arbor, I use it if the cylinder is bad enough. I personally like honing it is easy to get crosshatching. I'm afraid if I sand the scores down until I can't feel them I'm going to effectively oversize the bore.

That one gouge on the intake side is too deep to grind out. It is low enough to be no concern. You might get beat up about it trying to sell it though.
I sand it by hand just far enough to take the shine away. If you're using a hone and drill you can easily affect the bore shape.

Yeah its not perfect but if someone could use it I'd let it go. I already got spares for both my 046s so I don't need 2 more

Looks like you didn't finish cleaning it up ,you got to get that better then that pic. It should almost look new when you are done . How did you clean it up acid or Emory cloth with a drill?
What grade Emory ,how many steps? Did you also finish it of with Scotchbrite
This cylinder looks great. There is no reason to try and sand out those minor scratches that remain. Matter of fact, it would be detrimental. All transfer is gone. There are no high spots remaining. Any additional sanding/honing would only serve to thin the NiSi, potentially make the bore out of round, and possibly hurt compression.

This cylinder looks great. There is no reason to try and sand out those minor scratches that remain. Matter of fact, it would be detrimental. All transfer is gone. There are no high spots remaining. Any additional sanding/honing would only serve to thin the NiSi, potentially make the bore out of round, and possibly hurt compression.
OK maybe. But not great. I still say it could be polished up better. It certainly is not how I would leave it.

I was hoping you would chime in brad :). I like my new hone setup. Is this thing sellable? Or do I just keep it as another spare?

Back