WOW! 35 degrees WOW! in Upstate NY WOW! got to run a saw WOW!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flashhole

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
WOW! First we've been above freezing for some time now.

Put my Husky 394XP to work today in the blue sky and sunshine and bucked lengths to split and stack. I had 4 Ash trees I felled over Thanksgiving and this is the first opportunity I've had to buck them up. Had to plow the snow from around them to get some footing but hey ... I got out and cut them up. Worked up a bit of a sweat in the process and was wearing only a long sleeve T-shirt.

We've been pretty chilly for late fall and had quite a bit of snow to boot. Winter doesn't officially start for 2 more days. I ran a whole tank of gas through the 394 and it ran out when I ran out of wood to cut. Great timing. I tell ya that's as big a saw as I ever want to use bucking logs. Cutting son-of-gun with a fresh chain but a bit on the heavy side. That's the last I will use it this season so I will clean it and put it away until next cutting season.

The warming trend is supposed to continue through the weekend with rain the next 3 days and TEMPS IN THE 50s!!!. I have some time off over the Christmas break. If the word Christmas offended anyone tough ****. It's my holiday not yours. I hate this Happy Holidays crap. The Holiday is Christmas. I will get the wood split and stacked and hopefully post a few pics in the process.

The wife actually had the front door wide open today getting a change of air in the house. Had a fire but didn't really need it. Us Northerners are a pretty hardy bunch.

Big fun man!

Ya, balmy during the day here as well, but a scosh under freezing at night mid to high 20s.

I'll be taking my 394 out here pretty soon, got a few more daytime chores to finish first. Just got it back from being moodified....

How's the 394 on gas? And merry Christmas.

It fools you. The gas tank is not that big so if you are milling a 16' long 24" diameter log for example, it seems to run out of gas quickly (one pass) but the saw is actually running hard and doing a lot of work. Bucking is different. The 94cc saw with a 24" bar is as much as 60 year old me can handle and one tank of gas in the saw is equivalent to one tank of gas in me. I have to rest my arms a bit before running a second tank so I will usually haul or split what I bucked between tanks. I'm 5'9" 220 pounds and in pretty good shape. Today's chore was to simply buck it up so I can service the saw and put it away. The Stihl MS460 will get the remainder of cutting duty over the winter.

I love running a 394...when u switch back to the smaller saws it seems like it takes forever to get through something

Only fish we've seen are minnows. It slows to a trickle in the summer and can't sustain anything bigger. Blue Herons like to stab at the minnows in the shallow pools. Plenty of fresh drinking water for the native wild life. Fisher Cats are making a comeback in this area. Between those and the foxes we get some strange noises in the woods. Coyotes are here in abundance and I will be hunting them over the winter with my new gift ... google Hare Bawl Screamer. Santa brought me one.

Latest posts

Back