WOW....these guys had a lot of work in the day

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what you are saying is that those very old trees have all been harvested and nobody around here will ever see one that big and old for many hundreds of years. I found those trees to be just amazing in size. It makes you wonder how trees like that could survive that long and fight off death in a competitive forest environment.

No,..not all harvested or gone either but all protected now, there still is plenty of them out in California, been there and seen them for myself. They shurely are giants among the tree species.

Even now, they die. If you are a locally grown kid, and you want to stay here instead of going to college and moving away, you usually apply to work at one of the sawmills. Just before Christmas, we lost a 20 year old to a mill accident. He was sucked into whatever it was when his clothes got caught. A horrible accident.

There are very few jobs that pay anything over minimum wage here. There are very few jobs, period. Most of the kids leave to go to school or join the military, and they have to move away to find work.

Prior to the Spotted Owl shutdown, if you wanted to work, you grabbed your calks and hardhat and stood outside the Mt. Adams Cafe in the wee hours of the morning. If a crew was missing a guy, they'd stop and pick up a replacement there.

Our community had a doctor who was an expert in treating victims of crushing. He'd sometimes get flown into the logging job via helicopter if it was dire. I guess his bedside manner was a bit rough, but he saved a few lives. He wore rigging clothes and the first thought of some of his new patients was, "What is this logger doing here in the exam room?"

That doesn't happen now. There's not much logging around here anymore.

Last edited:
Not sure if that guy topping the tree and swinging an axe 2 inches from his rope had brass balls or just a numb skull. :laugh:

Spacy.... Have you seen the vid of the guy who splits a ton of wood a year with an ax? He can lay a toothpick on a log and split the toothpick ...length ways!!! Please DON'T equate our abilities today (or should I say lack of abilities) of swinging an ax.....to this guys ability! I know I wouldn't be the one climbing the tree....or the one swinging the ax!

That guy knew exactly where his ax was going to fall every time he swung it. 2 inches was a mile.

You'll probably come back with some smart comment... but......I felt I had to say something.

Spacy.... Have you seen the vid of the guy who splits a ton of wood a year with an ax? He can lay a toothpick on a log and split the toothpick ...length ways!!! Please DON'T equate our abilities today (or should I say lack of abilities) of swinging an ax.....to this guys ability! I know I wouldn't be the one climbing the tree....or the one swinging the ax!

That guy knew exactly where his ax was going to fall every time he swung it. 2 inches was a mile.

You'll probably come back with some smart comment... but......I felt I had to say something.

Does he know what a cord is??
I bet he dont know what an ax is either
:p

No,..not all harvested or gone either but all protected now, there still is plenty of them out in California, been there and seen them for myself. They shurely are giants among the tree species.

That would be something for a guy like me to see I couldn't imagine standing next to one of those. That must be a wet dream for the climber guys to want to tackle one of those things. :hmm3grin2orange:

Even now, they die. If you are a locally grown kid, and you want to stay here instead of going to college and moving away, you usually apply to work at one of the sawmills. Just before Christmas, we lost a 20 year old to a mill accident. He was sucked into whatever it was when his clothes got caught. A horrible accident.

There are very few jobs that pay anything over minimum wage here. There are very few jobs, period. Most of the kids leave to go to school or join the military, and they have to move away to find work.

Prior to the Spotted Owl shutdown, if you wanted to work, you grabbed your calks and hardhat and stood outside the Mt. Adams Cafe in the wee hours of the morning. If a crew was missing a guy, they'd stop and pick up a replacement there.

Our community had a doctor who was an expert in treating victims of crushing. He'd sometimes get flown into the logging job via helicopter if it was dire. I guess his bedside manner was a bit rough, but he saved a few lives. He wore rigging clothes and the first thought of some of his new patients was, "What is this logger doing here in the exam room?"

Dangerous work like that only pays minimum wage. That's terrible, do they at least provide company insurance for the employees in case something bad happens? Less stressful to flip burgers at rotten Ronnie's I would think.;)

So what you are saying is that those very old trees have all been harvested and nobody around here will ever see one that big and old for many hundreds of years. I found those trees to be just amazing in size. It makes you wonder how trees like that could survive that long and fight off death in a competitive forest environment.

I guess being in the "Witness Relocation" has you kinda closed off to the world...... a little joke.....

There are a lot of pics on the web of these trees.....

There's a documentary of a guy trying to find the most northern Redwood. He also climbed a lot of them to measure them.

I guess being in the "Witness Relocation" has you kinda closed off to the world...... a little joke.....

There are a lot of pics on the web of these trees.....

There's a documentary of a guy trying to find the most northern Redwood. He also climbed a lot of them to measure them.

I have secret access to the net that the gov doesn't know about. Everything else is regulated, if I fart somebody else has to say excuse me for me. :hmm3grin2orange:

That would be something for a guy like me to see I couldn't imagine standing next to one of those. That must be a wet dream for the climber guys to want to tackle one of those things. :hmm3grin2orange:

Everyone should make the trip out there if at all possible to see and walk among them, I spent 7 days among them my last trip out and am planning to be out there again in March myself for a couple more weeks. Climbing one would be a dream come true, much more rewarding than the telecomunication towers I have erected in the past.

2011%2520California%2520087.jpg

2011%2520California%2520086.jpg

2011%2520California%2520091.jpg

2011%2520California%2520147.jpg

In your opinion.....was this a good or bad thing?

What do you think? This was a more prosperous community before the owl shutdown. People could work close to home. There was work for high school kids, boys and girls in the summer, they built fireline around clearcuts, handpiled slash, and did mopup work after we burned units. Adults worked at logging, in the mills, and for the Forest Service, which had about 200 people working in the valley in the summer and fall. Men and women also did the clean up after the logging, and there was also tree planting and precommercial thinning. There were folks who did road maintenance.

We couldn't keep going like we were, but in comparison, the timber harvest on the National Forest, which surrounds us, is basically nothing. We could do more. There is no need to go back to the old growth, the areas that were clearcut in the 1940s to 1970s is now at the right size for harvest. This forest has only put up light thinning sales and not very many of those. It's kind of complicated to explain. The forest roads are falling apart. It is depressing if you were here during the good times.

In the meantime, there are no jobs for kids either, unless their parents own a business. We do have a government funded program called The Discovery Team, where they go out and do weed pulling and stuff, but it may be history.

One doctor moved on, a pharmacy shut down, 3 mills shut down, two grocery stores shut down, the saw shops shut down...

Also, I didn't make another point clear. The mills are the few places that pay better than minimum wage and have benefits. There are three in our area.

Last edited:

Serious question?[/QUOTE]

Yes....it was...
What do you think? This was a more prosperous community before the owl shutdown. People could work close to home. There was work for high school kids, boys and girls in the summer, they built fireline around clearcuts, handpiled slash, and did mopup work after we burned units. Adults worked at logging, in the mills, and for the Forest Service, which had about 200 people working in the valley in the summer and fall. Men and women also did the clean up after the logging, and there was also tree planting and precommercial thinning. There were folks who did road maintenance.

We couldn't keep going like we were, but in comparison, the timber harvest on the National Forest, which surrounds us, is basically nothing. We could do more. There is no need to go back to the old growth, the areas that were clearcut in the 1940s to 1970s is now at the right size for harvest. This forest has only put up light thinning sales and not very many of those. It's kind of complicated to explain. The forest roads are falling apart. It is depressing if you were here during the good times.

In the meantime, there are no jobs for kids either, unless their parents own a business. We do have a government funded program called The Discovery Team, where they go out and do weed pulling and stuff, but it may be history.

One doctor moved on, a pharmacy shut down, 3 mills shut down, two grocery stores shut down, the saw shops shut down...

Also, I didn't make another point clear. The mills are the few places that pay better than minimum wage and have benefits. There are three in our area.

Doesn't sound good...

I know very little of this.....was the spotted owl in danger....did/does anyone care....should we/they care? Or was this just a lot of hype?

Serious question?[/QUOTE]

Yes....it was...

Doesn't sound good...

I know very little of this.....was the spotted owl in danger....did/does anyone care....should we/they care? Or was this just a lot of hype?

The spotted owl was a poster child for the anti-logging people. It was their symbol. If they'd picked a slug or a weed to rally around the effect wouldn't have been quite the same.

I don't know if the spotted owl was really endangered or not. From everything I've heard, and what I've seen, I don't think so. The idea that they need old growth timber to nest in has never been proven. They might prefer old growth but there's quite a bit of evidence that they'll roost any place they feel safe.

The spotted owl was a rallying point, a focal point, and it brought a more emotional response to timber harvesting than a practical one.

The downside, as Slowp pointed out, was economic disaster. When the USFS caved in to the preservationists and started to decrease the timber harvest from national forests the results were devastating. Just off the top of my head I can name twenty little towns in my area that had mills and loggers that depended on government timber. And that's just in the area I work in and know best.

The timber supply was shut off or, at the very least, sharply curtailed. There was no logging...so the loggers left. There were no logs for the mills...so the mill shut down. And those little towns, most of which depended on logging and the lumber mill , literally died. Often the logging and the mill were the only source of income for the majority of residents. And, as in any time of economic turmoil, the emotional upheaval was rampant. People who had lived in a certain area and lived a certain way for generations were cast adrift with no hope and no remedy. Unemployment, bankruptcies, divorce, substance abuse, and suicide were way off the charts.

Schools laid off teachers or closed altogether. Businesses closed, most of them forever. Public services were cut way back, including health clinics and rural hospitals. No logging, no income, no people, no revenue. And nothing better on the horizon.

Buy hey...that little owl is safe now. And the trees will stand until they rot and fall over. Some people think that's a fair trade. I don't know any of them, though.

Last edited:
i'm getting very hooked on these videos,VERY intresting,this is another redwood video!

[video=youtube;kbwv6kZEiUA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbwv6kZEiUA[/video]

The spotted owl was a poster child for the anti-logging people. It was their symbol. If they'd picked a slug or a weed to rally around the effect wouldn't have been quite the same.

I don't know if the spotted owl was really endangered or not. From everything I've heard, and what I've seen, I don't think so. The idea that they need old growth timber to nest in has never been proven. They might prefer old growth but there's quite a bit of evidence that they'll roost any place they feel safe.

The spotted owl was a rallying point, a focal point, and it brought a more emotional response to timber harvesting than a practical one.

The downside, as Slowp pointed out, was economic disaster. When the USFS caved in to the preservationists and started to decrease the timber harvest from national forests the results were devastating. Just off the top of my head I can name twenty little towns in my area that had mills and loggers that depended on government timber. And that's just in the area I work in and know best.

The timber supply was shut off or, at the very least, sharply curtailed. There was no logging...so the loggers left. There were no logs for the mills...so the mill shut down. And those little towns, most of which depended on logging and the lumber mill , literally died. Often the logging and the mill were the only source of income for the majority of residents. And, as in any time of economic turmoil, the emotional upheaval was rampant. People who had lived in a certain area and lived a certain way for generations were cast adrift with no hope and no remedy. Unemployment, bankruptcies, divorce, substance abuse, and suicide were way off the charts.

Schools laid off teachers or closed altogether. Businesses closed, most of them forever. Public services were cut way back, including health clinics and rural hospitals. No logging, no income, no people, no revenue. And nothing better on the horizon.

Buy hey...that little owl is safe now. And the trees will stand until they rot and fall over. Some people think that's a fair trade. I don't know any of them, though.

The Forest Service has shut down the logging here too. The biggest sawmill in town is long gone and their is only one sawmill still in business.

Back