Wrapping my fig tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eleanor

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to planting trees and have many questions.
I live in Port Washington, NY I planted a young fig tree (3' tall) Over the summer and would like to know the proper way to wrap the tree for the winter. I also planted a young peach tree (3-4' tall) does it need to be wrapped also?

Eleanor, what kind of fig do you have? I don't know of any varieties that will survive a NY winter. You may need an electric blanket! I don't think wrapping your peach tree will protect it from cold, but may prevent rodent damage.

Of course, I'm from Florida. We cover our plants with blankets when it gets cold.:rolleyes:

It also depends on the sourse of the trees, how far north they were grown.

DO you still have the tags that wer on them?

For most young trees, the only need to wrap them is to protect them from rodent damage.

Except in higher elevation places like Colorado, where there's a serious winter sun damage problem (usually on southwest exposures) on thin-barked young trees. (Probably not a problem in N.Y.)

I was wondering why I was burned after I left you this summer, thought it was from spending too much time in the PNW before stopping by to play with you and yours:D

Latest posts

Back