wrapping the lanyard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wrap my climbing line around the tree and clip it into my center D ring just in case the spar splits or peels. That way it is isolated from my saddle.

Before I started using an adjustable false crotch AFC, that is how I worked the spar. Now that I use the AFC I just set the ends far enough apart to get a good choke on the trunk.

Why do you double wrap?

Tom

the only time i double wrap my steel core flip line is if i'm butt tieing a piece over my lanyard. but i'll also be tied in with my line below the lanyard. i won't do it with big piece's but for small ones that aren't worth hauling a pully up for i'll do it. i try to leave nubs for my butt ties, but some times there not where you need them.

I sometimes tie into palms or slippery spars, like sycamore, with a wrap. The AFC is the ticket, though. Good on tall skinny cypress trees, too.

I frequently wrap on slippery and small spars. I am switching over to a fair-led continuously adjustable flipline so the need to wrap on small stuff will decrease - but frequently the little stuff is slippery too.

I don't have a false crotch right now, lost both mine when i was out of climbing for a while. But I used an adjustable lanyard for one on some tall skinny pines I climbed yesterday and today. Double-wrapped it and set my lifeline in both snaps. The 1/2" rope fits perfectly in the safety snaps on the lanyards. 75' high on 90' pines, and they were only 18" DBH.

i do it and have referred to it some here. It is same strength, with grip. You can do the same type thing in sling rigging by instead of making a basket (about 2.5x strength of choke positioning of sling, but no grip), make this round turn basket/ or double basket that has the basket strength + grip on load.

With lanyard i use it on slippery palms, slipperry vine area, skinny-skinny stuff, when bark is sloughing off etc. and dead manned (could pass out and would hang there still) for topping or other dangerous/dynamic activity especially when can't get a good mechanical stop for lanyard in these situations. Sometimes bringing snap to center 'D' for more comfort (weight on butt on that leg and not side), and safer if spar splits (which i never have happened, but have heard stories of).

Sometimes, walking up a palm or pine spar (esp. removal), by holding the wrap open from front; with fingers, then i can let go to allow choke at a stop, or if i slipped, it would automatically engage. You can waaalk around in circle nicely with it too. i think it is very powerful and clean strategy.

i also do this with lifeline in similar situations, when it is going to be wrapped around the spar rather than in overhead support position.

All 3 (round turn : basket rigging, lanyard or lifeline) are exactly the same but diffrent!

I hate the "falce crotch" monicker for that thing. I always thing of cutting into the trunk for a false crotch.

It is a mechanical tie in point MTIP:D

So, you guys think that by double wrapping your lanyard you'll be able to eliminate the trunk from splitting? How? Do you realize the forces that will be generated if the trunk splits? A human's puny hips won't be able to withstand those kind of forces.

A better option is to use a ratcheting web strap or chain binders. Then, clip your lanyard into your front dee. That will get your body out of any compression that might happen. Oh, and have another support system too since you'll be using a chainsaw.

Tom

most everyone has an adjustable false crotch (called a lanyard) that can be used in this instance. I take my lanyard wrap it around the stem until the biners are close enough but not touching. I then snap my climbing line into both biners and work off of the double rope. As Tom mentions you are supposed to have 2 ties ins when the saw is in action, however when I think there is the remote chance of the trunk splitting I wouldn't even consider using 2 tie ins, I want to be ready to burn down the rope on my Blakes hitch if I have to. I also have never experienced a spliting trunk and don't want to.
Greg

i once saw a trunk split on a stupid crab apple. the climber just stepped up in it and back cut it with out a notch. the thing tore over and split. his saw was stuck in the cut. it pinned him to the tree. he was only a few feet up so i was able to reach up with a 32in bar to cut him free.

Back