Wrong bar and chain on new stihl?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOA

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
On my new MS310 I have a 20"bar 3/8 pitch with a .063 gauge, but my manual says that I should have a .050 gauge. the chain matches the bar and is a RC2. Is this OK? Just trying to order a new chain and need to now.

That is the gauge and it's a regional thing, around here about all of the Stihls will come with the largest gauge posible. It's not a problem, just sucks when you are tring to order new chain online, most of the cool chains are in .050 gauge:hmm3grin2orange:
Andy

If the chain matches the bar gauge and pitch, and the sprocket pitch matches that of the chain, then you're good to go. .050, .058, or .063 gauge, it doesn't make a lick of difference so long as everything that needs to matche up does!

Work

The .063 chain will make a bigger kerf, and take more time and enegy to do it. The big kerf is good if you are trying not to pinch the bar, but otherwise it is not needed on that saw.

Hmmm..

Does the tang not set the distance from the centerline of the bar to the edge of the cutter on each side?

Nope - it's compressed at the cutter/link on the 063. Stihl bars are also the same thickness.. (050/063). Search is a wonderful AS site function.

Last edited:
It sounds like whoever sold you the saw, with that bar/chain combo, was
trying to dump on you some crap he would never sell otherwise.....

I would go back to him, and demand the correct pitch, .050. on both the bar and chain.

He only tried this crap on you, because he thought he could get away with it.

If anyone wishes to debate this, I am ready to go the distance....

I have worked for too many dealers that wish to get rid of their odd, crap, bar/chains, no matter what...

Fish said:
It sounds like whoever sold you the saw, with that bar/chain combo, was
trying to dump on you some crap he would never sell otherwise.....

I would go back to him, and demand the correct pitch, .050. on both the bar and chain.

He only tried this crap on you, because he thought he could get away with it.

If anyone wishes to debate this, I am ready to go the distance....

I have worked for too many dealers that wish to get rid of their odd, crap, bar/chains, no matter what...

Not debating Fish, it really is a reigonal thing, he is from KS as well, about all my dealer carries for pre-made chain in 3/8's is .063, and from what I seen about all the Stihl dealers around here are the same. Walk in and buy a new Stihl in Wichita, it will be setup with .063.
Andy

That is probably because they can get it real cheap, I am not kidding.........

I made the mistake once of buying a 25 ft. loop of .058 3/8 once for a customer, I ended up giving the rest of it to a certain former moderator on the west coast. >063/ 3/8 never...
It might be a regional thing for Kansas, because someone screwed up and they need to sell it........................

I drove through Kansas a few years back, where do you all put the trees?

Fish said:
That is probably because they can get it real cheap, I am not kidding.........

I made the mistake once of buying a 25 ft. loop of .058 3/8 once for a customer, I ended up giving the rest of it to a certain former moderator on the west coast. >063/ 3/8 never...
It might be a regional thing for Kansas, because someone screwed up and they need to sell it........................

I drove through Kansas a few years back, where do you all put the trees?

Can't and won't argue the first point, I won't try and explain why, it's just the way it is, and thus all the Stihls I have owned/own in 3/8's are set up for .063just so if I do need a loop, I CAN get it.

The tree thing, I think we went through this a while back........... They are here, go to eastern KS, lots of Oak and Walnut out there, go to eastern KS, might be 2-4 hours between trees, thats no joke!!
Andy

Chains guage

I don't think it matters really. I put 050 on my husky, it was supposed to have 058. It's run perty good without any problems. Only thing is, when you put 050 on a bar that's supposed to have 058 its a tit sloppy, not too too bad, but a little bit. You cant however put 058 on a bar that calls for 050. I know this, I can add 8 links to the chains on my 041's and use them on my husky 266XP. It never misses a beat either. Input???:confused:

Husqvarna always did that crap, and it always caused problems for us
dealers that give a damn.
A guy comes in needing a new bar that is a .058, and some of his chains
are .050, and so on.

Stihl .325s are at least somewhat consistant. But life would be a lot easier
if all of them were .050 on all bars/chains under the .404.

sawinredneck said:
Not debating Fish, it really is a reigonal thing, he is from KS as well, about all my dealer carries for pre-made chain in 3/8's is .063, and from what I seen about all the Stihl dealers around here are the same. Walk in and buy a new Stihl in Wichita, it will be setup with .063.
Andy

St. Louis is the same......:help:

Andy

Fish said:
He has a bar that is .063, and his chain is an RC2, anything wrong there?
Just curious.
MOA said:
Sorry, the chain is a RM2, not RC2.
RM2 is not a very good chain, order RS/RSC for clean wood, or RM/RMC for dirty....

Btw, .063 is all we can get here in regular 3/8" for Stihl (D025) - even Oregon don't want to sell bars in other Gauges.....:bang:

But as Lakeside said, it doesn't really matter.....:blob2:

Last edited:
sawinredneck said:
Andy

That just happened to me too. All my closest Stihl "hoserama" used to carry was .050. Last week before I got mad enough to dump them, I went to get a 25" loop of 3/8" .050, but now "all they stock" is .063 in anything over an 18" loop. A year ago, they didn't have any .063 in the store, I had to special order it.

Mark

Latest posts

Back