Wrong tree cut down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually did cut a tree down that was only supposed to have the big dead removed. My foreman told me to. Of course I ask " are you sure?" beforehand.

Once I had a lady tell me my own little company took out the wrong tree, I was at her house in 2 minutes to set her straight.

Once we showed up at address 1009( written on the work order), the work order said, use gate on left ( key for lock under mat), take oak tree down growing over pool and deck. Looking at the work order and the house it looked good but when I saw the price listed on the work order to take this big tree down I got suspicious and it turned out we were supposed to be at 109 where things were practically indentical. Even the key under the mat was the same.

If you guys were here the next round would be on me!

I did a minor consultation Tuesday. Real estate agent, homeowner, buyer, home inspector......over if trees were damaging a foundation and the buyer wanting the cost of removals deducted from the selling cost. As I have let my CA lapse after 18 years all I could offer for credentials was that I know a BCMA and someone who aspires to be a BCMA. Thanks Guy(s).:cheers:

ouch :clap:

Yes Cost of Cure can be steep-, but nothing like replacing the tree.

I work in Ohio sometimes; got relatives in Hocking Hills.

This wrong tree tragedy happens waaay too much, and as long as we do a lot of needless removals it will continue.

I had a foreman who had a larch cut because it was changing color. :rolleyes: That cost $3000.00--in 1974 dollars--and it was nowhere near the house.

I don't believe too many tree removals are a very big problem in America. The problem as I see it is that not enough trees are getting planted. We should have forested yards and areas surrounding our living spaces and I personally feel that large 'wolf' trees are not as good of a solution as having ten times the number smaller trees.

Compare yard trees to what we see in the forest. Of course lots of forest have large mature trees and fewer small ones....but IMO, living under a mature forest is a given recipe for tree damage to people and property to occur.

For instance take all of those beautiful oaks on Oak Island. Not one over fifty feet tall I bet yet they provide all of the environmental benefits of really large trees....but don't present nearly the same hazard to people and property.

America needs smaller trees and lots of them! .......sorry for the off topic rant.

I agree.

I don't believe too many tree removals are a very big problem in America. The problem as I see it is that not enough trees are getting planted. We should have forested yards and areas surrounding our living spaces and I personally feel that large 'wolf' trees are not as good of a solution as having ten times the number smaller trees.

Compare yard trees to what we see in the forest. Of course lots of forest have large mature trees and fewer small ones....but IMO, living under a mature forest is a given recipe for tree damage to people and property to occur.

For instance take all of those beautiful oaks on Oak Island. Not one over fifty feet tall I bet yet they provide all of the environmental benefits of really large trees....but don't present nearly the same hazard to people and property.

America needs smaller trees and lots of them! .......sorry for the off topic rant.

But don't small trees grow into big trees eventually? There were probably a bunch of smaller tress near the wolf trees at one time, until they got shaded out by the trees that grew faster and out competed them for light.

Speaking of wrong trees being cut down in Ohio.. I worked with an outfit for a little under 3 weeks during which the bossman cut down 2 wrong trees. He was one heck of a climber though.

My crew cut down the wrong tree, although it was marked with orance tape, we ended up removing the right one and planting 2 ivory silk lilacs, we got a call in blooming season about planting the wrong trees, apparently the flowers were the wrong color, I went to the site to see what the issue was. The HO said they should be purple, we than got into an arguement about what the word ivory means...

And it turns out the HO's son had moved the flag off the elm in the beginning just screwing around, that was an expensive and irritating job.

I'd think in 2009 a digital camera would be very beneficial if you're running a company big enough that the guy writing up the quote won't be with the folks who get the work order.

Back