wrong way -as usual

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackbnimble

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
On a slope, an average size but dying tree has a large branch hanging down, about 20 feet off the ground. It is on the south side of the tree where the grade slopes down. The tree is not leaning. I want to drop it in the opposite direction-to the north and up hill. It is a fairly heavy branch. Is it tough to get the tree to fall in the opposite direction where the branch is resting and up the slope? I am concerned about the tree kicking back.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Appreciate the expertise here.

If the tree is fairly well balanced, not leaning much, you can drop it in any direction you want. On the other hand, if you are not familiar with how to direct a fall, I would have a pro remove that tree with the widow maker hanging from it rather than try it yourself with limited experience.

Can you get a pull rope up high in the tree to help you out? Uphill and against the top weight will require a bunch of wedge bashing. What species and how big?

Falling uphill should be avoided if possible. When the tree falls, there is a risk of the tree sliding back down the hill towards the faller. When you fall downhill or across the hill this risk is avoided as you can move away from the tree.

How steep is the slope?

Thanks you guys.

I usually drop trees right where I'm standing. If I can roll the old wagon fast enough, I survive.

I took a break, came back to it with a clearer head. It is a Hickory that braved Sandy the best she could. Notched it with the lower cut at a healthy angle, as per Barnacle Parp. Eased the felling cut in and used 3 wedges and rope to direct it northward. I am allergic to patience, but I dislike pain even more.

Slowly, very gradually, using the saw tenderly to remove thin slices of tree and the wedges to smash it to bits, she came down exactly where I wanted. I just got home from the hospital after being treated for shock.

Hickory is monstrous. It is so strong even when it has begun to rot, it reminds me of rebar. Going to turn a small section now to make a new piston for a Mack truck.

Thanks again, guys.

Latest posts

Back