WTF happened here?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SEAM

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I sold this 024 AV Super to a guy in a nearby town about 3 years ago. He called with a "saw don't turn over" and this is what I found in the crankcase:

All bearings seem to be fine, there is absolutely no scoring whatsoever, the rings look OK, cylinder is salvageable (no scoring at all and no marks around the ports that might indicate a clip had come off or the like).

The saw was old but hardly used, pressure-tested OK and was in overall perfect shape when I sold it.

Any ideas what may have caused this? I am at a loss...

Is the edge of this fracture of the pin boss polished?
DSCF0301_zpsdf514dd7.jpg~1024.jpeg

A worn skirt supposedly will allow the piston to rattle in the bore, eventually crack and fail. I don't have personal experience with it but thats what i've read before looking up failures of 2 stroke engines...

Piston slap. It happens. That would have made a really nasty sound.

How about a photo of the top of the piston?

If you buy another piston, and the jug is good, I'd definitely check the skirt to cylinder clearance. If too big, you can have the piston built up to make it up.

Also check out-of-round.

It's a chainsaw. That's what chainsaws do. If something unexplainable happens to a piece of OPE, it's going to be a chainsaw. I mean come on, how many times do we read about a string-trimmer, hedge trimmer, or a blower blowing up? I'm sure that it happens, but not on the scale of the saws. And yes, I'm aware that saws get used harder and longer.

As much as I like my OPE, I'm pretty much convinced that it's not all that well designed, engineered or manufactured. Too many little glitches that seem to be on-going issues and problems. Things that the industry doesn't seem to care to address.

Thing that rubs me the wrong way the worst, are the prices that the manufacturers get for them. We all know what I mean by that.

Just to be fair and balanced, I myself have never had a piece of OPE blow up. I don't know if that's just luck or the way I care for my OPE. Maybe a little of both......perhaps? :innocent:

I've got a box of five 026's that have pistons on the intake worn paper thin. So much that the pistons were rocking in the bore and contacting the squish band.

Latest posts

Back