Wth

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blakwidow

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So weird thing happened on the weekend. Went out to cut some downfall. Put on my new Stihl chain on my ms290, ( last time out old chain snapped in two ) started cutting. Things seemed fine. Half way through the first tree I notice the saw dust had changed from good chips to a fine powder. I stop the saw check the chain and all the teeth on the right side of the chain look like I just tried to cut through concrete and are all folded in. The left side cutters are fine. Well what the hell, sharpen it up go again. About half a tree in same thing. I check the saw all seems fine. Try a couple more times same thing. Now I’m thinking is it the wood? So I grab my little ms170 that I use for delimbing and give it a try and although slower it cuts no problem. Did I get a dud chain or is this something I’m missing??? Help please!!!

I’m no expert, but I would check the sprocket for wear, check the clutch cover well, the chain catch piece in case it throws a chain? Sounds like it it hitting something other than the wood your cutting. Does chain spin freely by hand? Lastly any chance you got into some metal in the tree?

I’m no expert, but I would check the sprocket for wear, check the clutch cover well, the chain catch piece in case it throws a chain? Sounds like it it hitting something other than the wood your cutting. Does chain spin freely by hand? Lastly any chance you got into some metal in the tree?

i did check the cover and sprocket, all appears fine. As for metal in the tree I thought that myself. That why I decided to see if the issue happens with my other saw and it didn’t. I’m actually starting the wonder if I just got a bad chain. I’m not able to go out but I have considered taking an old chain I have that has a small bit of life left, sharpen it up and go back out. If it doesn’t happen the the old chain then I would most certainly be a bad chain

Run the chain on the saw but don't put it in wood, see if it's dulling teeth. Take the wood out of the equation.

If it still dulls...obviously hitting something on the saw.

Look at the chain catch first....if you threw a chain, it might be bent or otherwise mangled and coming into contact with the chain cutters.

Folded in is unusual but a soft brick has done that for me.. How do your rakes/drags look and are "ALL" the right side cutters folded or just a section of them? When you got the cut finished with the other saw did you look/find any other clues? Did the steel in the left and right cutters feel the same when you sharpened them? Hand file or on a machine?
Post #2 Keep us informed if you get it figgerd out.

Folded in is unusual but a soft brick has done that for me.. How do your rakes/drags look and are "ALL" the right side cutters folded or just a section of them? When you got the cut finished with the other saw did you look/find any other clues? Did the steel in the left and right cutters feel the same when you sharpened them? Hand file or on a machine?
Post #2 Keep us informed if you get it figgerd out.
I hand file. And truthfully the right side felt soft to me. One stroke would completely remove the folded over section. 2 more would completely straighten the cutting edge.

my gut honestly is thinking a bad chain.

Run the chain on the saw but don't put it in wood, see if it's dulling teeth. Take the wood out of the equation.

If it still dulls...obviously hitting something on the saw.

Look at the chain catch first....if you threw a chain, it might be bent or otherwise mangled and coming into contact with the chain cutters.

I’ll double check the catcher and see if I see anything. I did a quick peek but didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary

Can you get some pictures of chain and saw with clutch cover off as well? May help the pro troubleshooters get you a better idea

Push start the saw instead of pull starting it. then bury the bar into wood. The folded over cutting edge will straighten right back out.

Your welcome.

[emoji16]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

This is kinda funny..I'm going with the bar oil theory above, the wrong oil can cause one side of the cutters to dull :laugh: no seriously the reason sensible folk have asked for pics is that way we can likely solve this fairly easily despite what 'you' may think because what we are thinking, is not the same. Pics of inside clutch cover, chain and clutch/sprocket.

Back