XT Hitch ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is from XMan's site i beleive; i think many climber's (self included for several rounds)have learned specialized friction knots off his site for years. Might be the 'site of record' for these pics and names over time now in a way....

i've taken that pic before to be a form of what Brian has recomended, except i believe he only crossess the braids around themselves once, then braid down the line 'normally'. As i understand, he recomends the on twist so that the twists in the braid, turn the host line the opposite direction than the top coils; each cancelling the effect of the other; thus ending with fewer twists in line.

XT probs

In a nutshell, the crosses in this hitch make it more secure but also prevent the coils from "breaking" when taking up slack.

Tying on to the becket of a FIXE also seems to prevent the coils from breaking, thus making it harder to pull slack.

I've tried both pullies, but I like the Fixe because it's easier to install. The swing sides require that extra motion. The fixe works better for me.

However, I don't use either now. I've made a little slack tender that I love. It's out of a thin piece of about 5mm technora. I spliced a little eye and eye sling about 5" long. I clip on one eye of my friction hitch, then curve the slack tender sling around my climbing line, clip the two eyes to the carabiner, then clip on the other eye of my friction hitch. I've made three similar but very different ones during the past month. They all work quite well...super smooth and very light weight.

I wish I had a digital camera so you could see what I am talking about.

love
nick

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
I've tried the Fixe pulleys and prefer the regular swing-side rescue pulley for a hitch tender.

I have to agree with nick on the fixe, nice to have fewer moving parts. Guess that isn't as much of an issue with the set up you are using. You tie your hitch on the ground.

Does anyone actually tie to the becket of the FIXE?

Nate, I thought you were packing for Germany? :confused:

Closing the biz doors this week. Pulling in the remainder of recieveables. Contacting frieght forwarders, selling vehicles....
Lots to do. Hoping to wrap it all up in 20 days.

Latest posts

Back