Y?all were wrong!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Y’all were wrong!

Fifteen months (since I showed up here) and waiting… it ain’t happened yet.
Y’all told me it would… but it ain’t happened yet.

I’m immune to the dreaded disease that runs rabid throughout AS…
My blood should be studied by science… used for developing a vaccine…

Heck, I ain’t even looked at ‘em… ain’t searched Craig’s List or Ebay.
I stop at the dealer for oil, files, sprockets and whatnot… don’t even glance over at ‘em.

I’m still a one saw man… twenty years using the same little 026…
Felling, limbing, bucking, noodling… one saw, two bars, and a dozen chains of varying configurations…

Ain’t no CAD in this house!

I bought a brand new 034 in 93' on a need basis. I had a piece of junk Mac that pretty much reached it's end of life. When I bought the 034 I was working for a company that made power supply components.....I was the technical salesman calling on Stihl in the Virginia Beach plant. The head procurement guy was nice enough to gave me an employee discount card for 25% off any saw I wanted. They suggested the 034 as a good mid range. After touring that plant I was impressed with Stihl and the company as a whole...although they were ruthless in negotiating every last fraction of a cent on pricing.

Anyway, I digress, back to the CAD thing. For me, I just plain like having options. To some degree it's nice to have a large saw for the big wood and a smaller one for limbing and such. It's not a money thing for me.....and I have to say, odds are I will buy a few more saws before my times up.

When I retire in a couple of years I may even try porting a saw or two.....again just for enjoyment, learning and keeping busy.

I'm sure I could get by with one saw and keep up with my firewood needs.

I just plain enjoy having and maintaining most small engine equipment....I have all kinds of blowers, power washers, splitters....etc. I think at last count I had 14 small engine tools and a 3 cylinder diesel tractor.

CAD, I guess. I even like reading the oil threads in the chainsaw forum. That's when you know you are deep in.

I've somehow managed to have 5 saws to my name. Not by CAD but just by upgrading and not reselling the others. I finally got around to listing two of them in the classifieds here just a few days ago. My Stihl MS310 and Husky 45 will hopefully sell soon.

I do though like a 2 saw plan. 1 daily driver and a big saw. CAD really never hit me either. I guess I spend to much on hunting stuff RC airplanes to have cash left for saws.:D

I just the opposite. I have 3 trucks and 1 saw. The 034 is all I need. Although for cutting those little limbs it does get a little cumbersome for a fellow my size. I had a small green saw for that I loaned to my brother that I never saw it again. He said he didn't even remember getting it.

I belive the CAD disorder is still being studied. I am aware that "some" are predisposed and may be battling with the effects on a multiple stages; saws,axes, knifes,etc.
Once affected, you are more suceptable to show symptons in other areas.

At this stage it is hard to confirm those affected, as denial is known to be one of the symptoms. Executing inventories is the only known test at this time.

However, should you indeed have some immunity to this disorder, then further study is required, as right now, sucessful treatment had been limited to severe intervention by those of the female gender.(apparently, they are immuned and do not fully understand the condition and its effects)

If all you cut is little stuff you're in good shape. Lot's of the wood I scrounge an 026 wouldn't be worth leaving home with.

My 029 Super has served me well until one day it decided to go on sabbatical. After rebuilding it I realized I kinda liked tinkering and was soon missing the process.
So I went out to the shed and dug out an old Homelite that my brother gave me years ago and put that up on the bench for a tune up and minor repairs.
Then I decided just for the halibut I would see what was happening on Ebay. Now I'm sitting on the computer and staring at the driveway for a delivery by UPS of an 044 Magnum with engine troubles.
It will be nice to have a big saw for those big trees and a little saw for those little trees.
In the end my 029 will probably see the most use but I'll still have a grin on my face when I step into the garage and see those saws hanging there!:msp_thumbsup:

Well...

Started with one for 10 years when I upgraded it went down hill from there. After I bought and ran the Makita I bought, cleaned, and fixed 10 more. I am down to 4 now with 2 still for sale, a big cash stash, a new Dolmar 5100, and a P/C ugrade for my Makita. I will be happy with my two saws but will still watch for new used ones as it made me good money and time well spent.

While our dear Whitespider claims to not have CAD, we all know a true addict will do everything in his power to hide and/or compensate for the disease. Anyone every see his wood piles? The man clearly has some issues and is compensating.

I stop at the dealer for oil, files, sprockets and whatnot… don’t even glance over at ‘em.

Felling, limbing, bucking, noodling… one saw, two bars, and a dozen chains of varying configurations…

Yep, this is a definite case about to cross over. The denial. The glassy, yellow look in the eyes and green tint to the skin. All the warning signs are there...

While our dear Whitespider claims to not have CAD, we all know a true addict will do everything in his power to hide and/or compensate for the disease. Anyone every see his wood piles? The man clearly has some issues and is compensating.

That is actually the FAD strain and is in a separate class, but it's entirely possible to have both illnesses.

That is actually the FAD strain and is in a separate class, but it's entirely possible to have both illnesses.

It's definitely like the flu...strains can and do vary from year to year but the symptoms are all the same. A general feeling of unease when a good deal or downed tree is spotted. Ears overly sensitive to the sounds of other 2-cycle equipment (...is that a saw?what are they cutting?did I miss something on the last scouting trip?). The neighbors all know that every time the UPS guy shows up, he's probably got a load of saw parts. The neighbors all know that you aren't feeling well when the truck bed comes home empty. A trail of wood chips and bar oil drips always ends at your heels. The worst and most troubling symptoms are when you start considering chain files, screnches, and felling wedges as some of your closest friends and a tear is shed if one goes missing.

Okay....this is all good!

But.....DO NOT! Go to a GTG! AND DO NOT in any way go and meet the guy who lives in Dike Iowa with all of the yellow saws! If you follow this you 'should' be fine....... Just a warning!

You sure you don't want one of these (saw of course!)

images

One saw plan for well over 35 years until the tornadoes hit. Then I realized you can be severely under sawed, both in quantity and in size. In an emergency situation, this can suck, and after an emergency is not as good of a time to get prepared for one as in before a potential emergency, with saws and a lot of other things.

Then I realized there are bargain orphaned non runners or barely runners junker saws headed to the chinese scrapyards, I rescue them and make them work and keep those manufactured items as work producers inside the nation.

This has lead to me realizing I like to work on saws, I have some ability in this from working on other small engine stuff, and it's a nice little side niche hobbybiz, which I will enter at sometime in the future. And it's much easier than working on larger equipment.

For now it is learning how to do it by hands on with different makes/models, and accumulating stock and parts and expertise, both in repairs and in use.

An added bonus is I now have a rather good cushion on my years in advance firewood needs.

Ain't no thang.

I started with a 55cc and stopped with a 71cc. Two saws in the stable to this day.

I will admit to feeling influenced by CAD. But I have a much strong influence in my blood and culture- Yankee frugality. AKA cheap sonuvabeech. And I'm not proud of it. But it is my heritage. Ask Dalmation90, I bet he'll back me up on this. Woodbooga too.

Back