Y?all were wrong!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To tell y’all the truth, I have been thinking about a second saw for backup (it ain’t CAD, really… it ain’t).

Whew! That was a close call.
Just keep checking around for that 036. Eventually one will pop up. If you have to rebuild it then it makes the saw much more lovable!:msp_wub:

I will give you some rep though for beating up some very big trees with just an 026. Not that it can't be done but it takes a more "mature" skill set to use small equipment on big trees and still have good equipment in the end.
Good luck in your second saw adventures!

To tell y’all the truth, I have been thinking about a second saw for backup (it ain’t CAD, really… it ain’t).

Whew! That was a close call.
Just keep checking around for that 036. Eventually one will pop up. If you have to rebuild it then it makes the saw much more lovable!:msp_wub:

I will give you some rep though for beating up some very big trees with just an 026. Not that it can't be done but it takes a more "mature" skill set to use small equipment on big trees and still have good equipment in the end.
Good luck in your second saw adventures!

"mature" skill set??? Areyou saying Spidey is old and slow??? Oh and one may be more apt to find a 361 than an 036 in good shape... Both good saws... Ya know, for stihl's and all...

"mature" skill set??? Areyou saying Spidey is old and slow??? Oh and one may be more apt to find a 361 than an 036 in good shape... Both good saws... Ya know, for stihl's and all...

Maybe old but I don't think slow, well slow is relative to an 026 I suppose, actually I don't know how old he is but what I was implying is that Mr. Spidey uses the saw in an appropriate manner. If you were to give me that saw back in my younger days it probably would be dead by now.

Maybe old but I don't think slow, well slow is relative to an 026 I suppose, actually I don't know how old he is but what I was implying is that Mr. Spidey uses the saw in an appropriate manner. If you were to give me that saw back in my younger days it probably would be dead by now.

Just bustin yer chops... One thing about only having one saw, the fuel will never get a chance to get stale!!! Half of the saw related problems are made moot right there!! Might be the key to his 026's long life...

To tell y’all the truth, I have been thinking about a second saw for backup (it ain’t CAD, really… it ain’t). As unclemoustache pointed out, I have “screwdrivers (many), utility knives (many), drills (many), and other tools of which (I) have many”… but no back-up if the saw breaks. It’s not super critical because I do all my cutting right here on the farmstead… it’s not like I drive 30 miles to cut wood. Still, it would be irritating to have the thing go down without anything to fall back on. And because I do cut a lot of 25+ inch wood, a tad bigger than what I have would be handy.

I’d like to find a nice, older, pre-EPA 036 sitting at a yard sale (yeah, I know, good luck with that) and have two bars for it, 20 and 25 inch. I figure between the 026 and a 036 (25-inch) I’d have 95+% of my cutting needs covered… and the 036 would make falling those bigger trees somewhat easier. I suppose I could go bigger, like maybe an 046, but that would sort of defeat the “back-up” purpose… just a bit on the heavy side as a firewood saw. Some years ago I owned a “yellow” saw in the 60-65cc range, probably should have kept it as back-up. Oh well, I figure something will come along… something always does.

And there’s one more… I don’t know why I ever sold it… it was the handiest darn thing. I had a little, light-weight (no chain brake), “green” top-handled saw several years ago… bought it back in the 80’s at some hardware store for like $79.oo or some such. It came out of the box wearing a 16-inch bar which was way, way too much for it. I stuck a 10-inch bar on it, which made one super handy little trimming and clean-up saw. Somebody offered me 50 bucks for that little “green” thing one day, and I had three other saws at the time (including a sweet 024 Super), so in a moment of weakness I handed it over… and then probably spent the money on beer or some other foolishness. Of all the saws I’ve sold or traded away over the years, that’s the one I regret. I’d sure like to replace it, but I can’t find anything as small and light-weight now-a-days.

But it ain’t CAD, really… it ain’t!

Tons of those little poulan tophandles still out there. Try asking in the poulan thread or the old american magnesium thread. A lot of them are rebadged in different colors,craftsman,dayton, etc. If it is still there, there's a wright in the classifieds. 08F150 (scott) had it up for sale or swap.

…it takes a more "mature" skill set to use small equipment on big trees and still have good equipment in the end.

…actually I don't know how old he is but what I was implying is that Mr. Spidey uses the saw in an appropriate manner. If you were to give me that saw back in my younger days it probably would be dead by now.

One thing about only having one saw, the fuel will never get a chance to get stale!!!

Fifty-four years young here.

As far as cutting big wood with a small saw… and still having a good saw when you’re done…
Keep the chain shaving sharp and don’t lean on it. Keep the RPM’s up well over 10,000 and let the weight of the saw pull itself through the wood. By keeping the RPM’s high and using a razor sharp chain it goes a lot faster than you’d think.

Stale fuel? If I think the saw (or any small 2-stroke) will be sitting for more than a handful of days, I open the fuel cap and dump any remaining tank contents when I’m done using it. I only mix 2.5 gallons of fuel at a time, and when (or if) it gets 4-5 weeks old I dump it in one of the vehicles and mix fresh. I’ve been doing that for over twenty years and have never had a fuel-related problem of any sort, in any of the 2-strokes… saws, weed whips, blowers, etc. I figure what little bit I “waste” has been more than worth the cost of headaches from bad fuel. I’m also lucky in that I can still buy ethanol-free 91-92 octane fuel locally, which stores better.

OWBAD -- cured!

What was once mistaken for OWBAD (outdoor wood boiler aquistion disorder), was found to be a cure for another not so uncommon ailment where nights are cold – 3TAD, (three teen age daughters.)

What was discovered was that the specimens in question were attempting to take a hot 35 minute shower every six minutes which manifested itself as, “ Pathological Shower Pattern”.

After installing parallel 35,000 BTU water to water exchangers in the boiler circuit, researchers found that they could not only maintain a constant flow of 160 degree domestic hot water, but that they could do so without raising their voice or knocking on bathroom doors.

Money once budgeted for electric water heat was then diverted into the Stihl Reasearch Fund to be expended in the Hickory Oak Research Program, or HORP.

After whittlin on big stuff with my Husky 55 w/20" bar for a couple years I finally got a big saw. Makes a HUGE difference. Not that I'm in a big rush or anything. It just makes it go a lot better.
Also I seem to have this habit of getting my saw pinched and have to use my other saw to get it out. I've had them pinched so hard that without a back up saw the first saw would still be in the woods to this day.:msp_biggrin:

Also I seem to have this habit of getting my saw pinched and have to use my other saw to get it out.

A second guide bar (and chain, of course) will normally accomplish the same thing. In fact, that's the reason I purchased my second bar in the first place... so I could retrieve the original from a huge oak crotch that decided to shift at a very inopportune moment. I have stuck my saw so tight before that I couldn't get the power head off the bar without removing the sprocket because the chain wouldn't let go... that's one reason I prefer rim sprockets.

Me and a buddy was cutting on this dozer pile and managed to get 3 saws stuck. Finally just had to yank the pile apart with our trucks to get the tension off of the piled limbs. Ya we probably could have avoided all that with a bit better planning but what the hell. It was fun yankin the pile apart.
With any luck that will be the LAST dozer pile I ever cut in though. Tons of built up tension everywhere and plenty of packed in dirt.

To tell y’all the truth, I have been thinking about a second saw for backup (it ain’t CAD, really… it ain’t). As unclemoustache pointed out, I have “screwdrivers (many), utility knives (many), drills (many), and other tools of which (I) have many”… but no back-up if the saw breaks. It’s not super critical because I do all my cutting right here on the farmstead… it’s not like I drive 30 miles to cut wood. Still, it would be irritating to have the thing go down without anything to fall back on. And because I do cut a lot of 25+ inch wood, a tad bigger than what I have would be handy.

I’d like to find a nice, older, pre-EPA 036 sitting at a yard sale (yeah, I know, good luck with that) and have two bars for it, 20 and 25 inch. I figure between the 026 and a 036 (25-inch) I’d have 95+% of my cutting needs covered… and the 036 would make falling those bigger trees somewhat easier. I suppose I could go bigger, like maybe an 046, but that would sort of defeat the “back-up” purpose… just a bit on the heavy side as a firewood saw. Some years ago I owned a “yellow” saw in the 60-65cc range, probably should have kept it as back-up. Oh well, I figure something will come along… something always does.

And there’s one more… I don’t know why I ever sold it… it was the handiest darn thing. I had a little, light-weight (no chain brake), “green” top-handled saw several years ago… bought it back in the 80’s at some hardware store for like $79.oo or some such. It came out of the box wearing a 16-inch bar which was way, way too much for it. I stuck a 10-inch bar on it, which made one super handy little trimming and clean-up saw. Somebody offered me 50 bucks for that little “green” thing one day, and I had three other saws at the time (including a sweet 024 Super), so in a moment of weakness I handed it over… and then probably spent the money on beer or some other foolishness. Of all the saws I’ve sold or traded away over the years, that’s the one I regret. I’d sure like to replace it, but I can’t find anything as small and light-weight now-a-days.

But it ain’t CAD, really… it ain’t!

He's fine, gents. A good case of CAD is already erupting!:clap::msp_w00t: The ones who resist the longest are often hit the hardest. All chainsaw sellers, get ready!

Hi, my name is Mike, and I am a firewoodaholic, [FAD] and a chainsawaholic, [CAD], I have only been here a short while, the FAD problem I have had for a long time, the CAD, well, I guess I caught over on the chainsaw thread, I thought I used protection, but I guess not. Bought a dead 031 on ebay to rebuild and backup my 029 super that has served me just fine for YEARS. It happens, but in my defense, I love to tinker, and the long winter this year where the unfrozen, wet ground madee it hard to get out to cut, snowmobile, or even icefish here in Michigan, A guy needs to tinker, so CAD on my friends, and be proud!

Hi, my name is Mike, and I am a firewoodaholic, [FAD] and a chainsawaholic, [CAD], I have only been here a short while, the FAD problem I have had for a long time, the CAD, well, I guess I caught over on the chainsaw thread, I thought I used protection, but I guess not. Bought a dead 031 on ebay to rebuild and backup my 029 super that has served me just fine for YEARS. It happens, but in my defense, I love to tinker, and the long winter this year where the unfrozen, wet ground madee it hard to get out to cut, snowmobile, or even icefish here in Michigan, A guy needs to tinker, so CAD on my friends, and be proud!

Yes this winter has been odd. rep sent for my fellow woodcutter!

Latest posts

Back