Yearly raises?? anyone?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A&Atree

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Does anyone around here get yearly raises?? I have been in the business for 11 years now, i am a climber,crane operator, log truck operator, and was a fleet manger at the last company. I have been at this current company comming up on 2 years, and thinking i am due for a raise, i took a 3$ hr pay cut to go to this company. It bothers me that i have to go ask for more $, the company should come to me and review my work, right? and get back to me with how i am doing,Anyway i was just wondering what everyone else thinks around here. How often do you guys get raises? How often do you think raises should be given when you are performing at a high level. Thanks i just needed to vent for a second

yeah i know you are right, I was just venting, I just wish that the employeer would take care of its best employees without them asking, because if employees are asking for $ that means they might go somewhere else.

tough call on that one....

as an employer, I dont offer raises. But my business model is based on hiring people with little to no experience but a good work ethic, hanging on to them for a couple of years, training them, paying for their tickets, then letting them go. A lot of low income earners don't invest in their own careers, so without employer training they are never going to progress which leaves the country short on skilled workers. I think a lot of employers have given up on training.

In Aus, some jobs do have continuous yearly raises. For myself, I dont think these should be automatic, but market based ie. no matter how long you've been doing your job it's not really fair that you should be paid a lot more than someone else with similar experience doing the same job. Otherwise you see - what - groundies on $50/hour because they've been a groundie a long time?

I think it's fair that you get paid for the value you add to a business. If you are adding more value than what you are being paid for, look elsewhere for employment. It's true that thesedays most companies don't promote from within the ranks and if you want to develop your career you often need to shift to another company.

Shaun

Be glad you have a job

Be thankful that your working for someone who can keep you working these days.
Why were you willing to take the $3/hr pay cut? Have those circumstances changes?

Is the company doing more business, making more money, or are they barely keeping afloat? If the business has grown and is doing better, then yeah, ask for a modest raise, if not, decide if you think the company has the real potential to do better down the road and if you can wait it out, go from there. If you're working for a good company the boss is probably already giving you what he can. Good employees are hard to keep, especially if they don't have much access to the back end of the business, seeing how much money is actually going out to keep the business running.

I remember how hard it was to collect the big $ from the customer, hand it over to my boss, then look at how much I actually made from that job. My cut always looked so small :msp_tongue:
It's easy to feel justified in wanting more money, and the grass is always greener on the other side...

Just saying keep those things in mind, I know you said you were just ranting. As an owner/op now, I realize how hard it is to pay a good employee how much I think he's worth, let alone how much he thinks he's worth! It's always easy to say "I want more," not so easy to tell yourself you can't have more right now.

Does anyone around here get yearly raises?? I have been in the business for 11 years now, i am a climber,crane operator, log truck operator, and was a fleet manger at the last company. I have been at this current company comming up on 2 years, and thinking i am due for a raise, i took a 3$ hr pay cut to go to this company. It bothers me that i have to go ask for more $, the company should come to me and review my work, right? and get back to me with how i am doing,Anyway i was just wondering what everyone else thinks around here. How often do you guys get raises? How often do you think raises should be given when you are performing at a high level. Thanks i just needed to vent for a second
From what I have read if you live in the south there's little chance of regular raises. Climbers down there are making less then our ground guys($16hr).The market seems very tight and customers are focused on serious price shopping. With the addtion of illegal labor arborists will soon make about the same as landscapers.
On a positive note I have received 13 dollars in raises in three years. I get 18 percent on bids I land, plus my hourlly rate on the job.
A lot of this has to do with location. If you live in a rural area you can enjoy the lack of traffic, natures beauty and being broke. If you want the big bucks you are going to have to move to the city.Its a trade off for sure.

about that raise

i hear you and agree with you that not everyone should get raised every year, but above average performances deserve a raise. Over the past year i have become a certified crane operator,certified arborist, Maryland Tree expert and also certified tree care safety professional. So i just figured the boss would of came to me and said hey you are doing a good job here is a dollar or two raise. I took the pay cut only because the last company was to top heavy with managers and i didnt agree with the direction the company was going. The new company offers more hours, so thats a plus i made more $ over the last year than ever before at the first company, plus this company gives me much more freedom, they let me do my job without standing there watching me all day. Do you guys use winches on your chippers? The company now that i work for uses winches and i love them i cant even think of doing tree work without winches anymore. Anyway what does a certifed arborist make in AUS. just curious maybe id move,lol anyway thanks for the comments.

tough call on that one....

as an employer, I dont offer raises. But my business model is based on hiring people with little to no experience but a good work ethic, hanging on to them for a couple of years, training them, paying for their tickets, then letting them go.
Shaun

That is about the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

Back