Yet another creosote question...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lopro

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know dry wood is good to burn when its dry...or at least I've read that from numerous posts.

That being said, are there any species that create more creosote? In particular, how good is cedar?

The wood that I see creating more smoke and creosote are mostly the softer woods. Any hardwood will seem to burn cleaner and produce less smoke then the softwoods.

Smokers: Pine, Maple, Locust (very hard but dirty burning), Popular

Clean burning: Oaks, Walnut, Cherry, Hickory, Elm

There are some really good charts that show the BTU content of the various woods too.....look around here you will find them.

Craig

I burn maple, locust, poplar, pine etc. with no smoke. Any wood species will create creosote which is a product of incomplete combustion. Letting the wood season and either burning hot or in a EPA certified unit will reduce the chances of creosote buildup.

I burn maple, locust, poplar, pine etc. with no smoke. Any wood species will create creosote which is a product of incomplete combustion. Letting the wood season and either burning hot or in a EPA certified unit will reduce the chances of creosote buildup.

Agreed. I burn a lot of locust, and while it doesn't have the very best smell when burned (as opposed to, say, cherry), I would say that its actual smokiness depends on how well it is seasoned just the same as any other firewood. Well seasoned, locust burns very hot, which helps prevent creosote formation.

In that case, I'm just going to focus on good and seasoned. It's too bad that this is my 1st year burning with this stove, and I haven't been able to catch up on seasoned wood. Everybody in town has unseasoned, split 6 months ago at best.

I already have my supply waiting for next year, so I'm looking forward to that.

I was in the same boat, my first year was alot of unseasoned wood. But my first "good" year will prolly be next, I finally built what I call a wood shed, my wood now got under it in September, it is still so/so. Next year it should be great.

I burn a mixed bag: from most burnt to least---->

Hemlock cherry Poplur Oak birch Ash pine.

Next year it will be a lot of Oak and Ash.

Another thing is...everyone talks of "no smoke = clean burn". But every time I put more wood in, I get smoke for first few minutes at least (hotter the coals, the less of this smoke). If the fire is still getting going, more smoke at the beginning. Isn't that normal?

All species of wood contain roughly the same amount of creosote per pound of wood (not wood plus water, just wood), and roughly the same amount of BTU per pound of wood. The hardwoods are more dense and contain more actual wood per unit of volume than a soft wood does. Thus a hardwood will be heavier, and burn hotter than a soft wood.

The difference comes in the temperature of the air as it rise out of your chimney. When the wood burns, the creosote is a by product that is released into the air. So long as the air stays hot, the creosote will stay airborne. If the air cools, the creosote will start to deposit on what ever it can. So if your chimney stays hot enough, it will have very little creosote build up in it. However, if your fire gets too cool and the gasses in the chimney cool down too much, all of the creosote will be deposited in your chimney and that makes for a dangerous situation in a hurry. Since soft woods do not contain as much mass per volume, it can be more difficult to keep the temperatures up where you want them. Same goes for "green" wood. The wood has to be dry to burn, and when a piece of green wood is added to the fire, part of the heat of the fire is used to evaporate the moisture. That, in turn, loweres the temperature of your exhaust gasses and allows for more creosote build up.

The bottom line is that if you keep the exhaust gasses hot enough, you will have a minimal amount of creosote to deal with, but if you don't, it will start building up on you faster than you may like. The cooler the fire, the more smoke you get, and the more creosote build up. When you add a fresh log to the fire (even a seasoned one), you will get a little smoke, and a little creosote because a large portion of the heat from the fire is being used to ignight the new log. The new log will have SOME moisture that needs to be burned off. Once the log up to temp, the smoke should deminish the temps should rise, and you should once again have very little creosote building up in your chimney.

Last edited:
All species of wood contain roughly the same amount of creosote per pound of wood (not wood plus water, just wood), and roughly the same amount of BTU per pound of wood. The hardwoods are more dense and contain more actual wood per unit of volume than a soft wood does. Thus a hardwood will be heavier, and burn hotter than a soft wood.

The difference comes in the temperature of the air as it rise out of your chimney. When the wood burns, the creosote is a by product that is released into the air. So long as the air stays hot, the creosote will stay airborne. If the air cools, the creosote will start to deposit on what ever it can. So if your chimney stays hot enough, it will have very little creosote build up in it. However, if your fire gets too cool and the gasses in the chimney cool down too much, all of the creosote will be deposited in your chimney and that makes for a dangerous situation in a hurry. Since soft woods do not contain as much mass per volume, it can be more difficult to keep the temperatures up where you want them. Same goes for "green" wood. The wood has to be dry to burn, and when a piece of green wood is added to the fire, part of the heat of the fire is used to evaporate the moisture. That, in turn, loweres the temperature of your exhaust gasses and allows for more creosote build up.

The bottom line is that if you keep the exhaust gasses hot enough, you will have a minimal amount of creosote to deal with, but if you don't, it will start building up on you faster than you may like. The cooler the fire, the more smoke you get, and the more creosote build up. When you add a fresh log to the fire (even a seasoned one), you will get a little smoke, and a little creosote because a large portion of the heat from the fire is being used to ignight the new log. The new log will have SOME moisture that needs to be burned off. Once the log up to temp, the smoke should deminish the temps should rise, and you should once again have very little creosote building up in your chimney.

This post is worthy of Rep!:agree2:

Very close to accurate, and good post.

If you have visible smoke (rare with EPA stoves), then the above applies.

Creosote is actually unburned parts of the wood and is a result of incomplete burn. If you have no visible smoke, you're getting a fairly good burn and won't have creosote build up.

So, your best bet is get a complete burn with no visible smoke, and you won't have to worry about creosote. (Still need to clean out the chimney every year).

Before I switched over, my old stove pipe would fill a 5 gallon bucket every year with creosote. Now it is maybe half a gallon, and that is mainly from start up smoke.

Very close to accurate, and good post.

If you have visible smoke (rare with EPA stoves), then the above applies.

Creosote is actually unburned parts of the wood and is a result of incomplete burn. If you have no visible smoke, you're getting a fairly good burn and won't have creosote build up.

So, your best bet is get a complete burn with no visible smoke, and you won't have to worry about creosote. (Still need to clean out the chimney every year).

Before I switched over, my old stove pipe would fill a 5 gallon bucket every year with creosote. Now it is maybe half a gallon, and that is mainly from start up smoke.

Agreed. Even with no visible smoke, there CAN be creosote, but the fire is hot enough that it goes up the flew and out the chimney. The exhaust gas is too hot for the creosote to deposit on the chimney walls. If the exhaust gas is allowed to cool enough, you will start to see the smoke. The same exhaust gas that had no smoke when it left the stove/furnace will start to have more and more smoke in it as it cools down.

The more modern higher efficiency stoves and furnaces are designed to not only burn the wood, but also to burn more of the compounds such as creosote that are in the exhaust gas. Kind of like adding a turbo to an engine in that they are using the byproducts from the primary combustion to increase the amount of heat/energy. In these stoves, not only are the exhaust temperatures kept high enough so as not to deposit much if any creosote in the chimney, but the exhaust gas actually has a lot less creosote in it because it was burned up while still in the stove/furnace. So if these exhaust gasses cool, they will still produce a smoke, but even when cool, there will still be a lot less creosote build up present.

Back