Yet another... ID this tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
These are in a dozer pile, and have been for a bit so no leaves to go on. I'm pretty sure #3 is hickory but I've never cut hickory so I don't know what the wood looks like.

Tree #1
D2.jpg

D1.jpg

Tree #2
C2.jpg

C1.jpg

Tree #3
B2.jpg

B1.jpg

Tree #4
A2.jpg

A1.jpg

tree 1 looks almost like the pin oak in my back yard (stringy but heavy)
pic2 looks like some kind of maple or maybe a shagbark hickory no idea
3 and 4 good luck

trees

#1 oak of some kind
#2 Red Oak
#3 Hickory
#4 ???:greenchainsaw:

#1 is an oak Red oak I think?

#2 mockernut Hick'ry Try to scratch the bark with your fingernails if it feels like the tree is tougher than your nails its definately a hickory...

#3 Shagbark Hickory

#4 No Idea

They all look like theyll burn though

Cool... thanks. Without leaves I'm almost useless at tree identification.

I'm cutting and splitting a good load tomorrow, maybe 2 if I can convince my muscles that they are 20 instead of 39.

Ian

Looks hard what ever it is, just curious HH about the chatter marks on the end cuts there, rakers a bit too low? Chain a tad hooped? Just doesn't seen right there and curious.
Hickory, oak, or locust, some nice wood there.

:cheers:

Looks hard what ever it is, just curious HH about the chatter marks on the end cuts there, rakers a bit too low? Chain a tad hooped? Just doesn't seen right there and curious.
Hickory, oak, or locust, some nice wood there.

:cheers:

No clue, cut it with a worn out hack saw blade. :greenchainsaw:
Ian

Well, I've given up splitting that stuff. The first load I got out popped open like I am accustomed to, but the load today was made of rubber I think. I've decided to just cut and pile it up in rounds. When I get a pile large enough to make it worth the money, I'll rent a splitter for the weekend. Costs $50 and I can pick it up Friday evening and return it Monday morning. I think 8hrs is max runtime without extra charges. Those rounds of hickory are darn heavy. I started about 7am when it was cool and I had my muscles convinced to get another load, but by then the temp was 90+ so I scuttled the second go-round. We're supposed to get a little rain later this week so maybe that will cool it off a bit.

Woodpile.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I've given up splitting that stuff. The first load I got out popped open like I am accustomed to, but the load today was made of rubber I think. I've decided to just cut and pile it up in rounds. When I get a pile large enough to make it worth the money, I'll rent a splitter for the weekend. Costs $50 and I can pick it up Friday evening and return it Monday morning. I think 8hrs is max runtime without extra charges. Those rounds of hickory are darn heavy. I started about 7am when it was cool and I had my muscles convinced to get another load, but by then the temp was 90+ so I scuttled the second go-round. We're supposed to get a little rain later this week so maybe that will cool it off a bit.

Woodpile.jpg

That's a darn nice load of wood there. Yeah, Hickory is very heavy; I'm pretty sure going by that "sideshot" picture of the bark that it's Shellbark, not Shagbark. Shagbark has bark that you can peel off in longer strips, Shellbark strips are shorter and tighter to the wood like your picture. I've been fortunate enough to have used both kinds and they both rock! Get your splitter rented and like Steppenwolf said in "Born to be wild" "get your motor runnin..." and get that stuff split up for this Winter-darn nice load of wood there! :rockn: :D

I'm guessing there's at least 8 times that amount left to get in that pile, then there's the 30-36" hard maple that's on the ground about 100yds from the dozer pile. That one will wait till the 372 arrives on the scene. I'm going to run out of room before it's all said and done.

Ian

I'm guessing there's at least 8 times that amount left to get in that pile, then there's the 30-36" hard maple that's on the ground about 100yds from the dozer pile. That one will wait till the 372 arrives on the scene. I'm going to run out of room before it's all said and done.

Ian

Wow! That almost sounds like three or more cords. My keybord keys are going to be sticking soon from all the droolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.:laugh:

yeah, that hickory is heavy. I always forget how heavy until go to pick it up. Sounds like you have your work cut out for you....should be nice and toasty in house all winter though!

Still say 3 is white oak when you split it is it stringy? 4 definitely is
locust 2 I feel is pignut or mockernut hickory and 1 looks like hackbury
bark but hard to tell on that one

Last edited:
#1 type of red aok
#2type of red oak
#3 definatly hickory
#4 maybe honey locast
If #4 is locast it should be the most dense and hardest to cut of the bunch. But I don't envy anyone cutting dry hickory.
All good to great fire wood.

Back