Yet another... ID this tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
all the shag bark I have seen has more shag that looks more like
white oak 3 have any of you ever seen white oak?

cut about 20 white oaks today, along with about 15 hickorys, some poplar, beach, and hard maple. the hickory has grayish, platey, hard bark, white sapwood, and a dark center heart, rather than the white oak with the, whitish, softer bark, with a pinking colored wood that doesn't have any real heartwood color. also is there are any limbs on the shagbark hickory with buds on them the buds at the end of the limbs will look like a big upside down teardrop, hickory will also be pretty stringy wood when split and hard to split where the white oak will be easy to split. and when cutting the shagbark hickory does the bark fly up and smack u in the face and it stings like a sob when u touch down with the saw?

btw, try to cut that honey locust whenever u aren't sweating, once u start sweating and your pores open up, honeylocust has a poison in it that will irritate your skin/burn your eyes, this poison is the same poison that is on the thorns that some of these trees have

if the rain holds out i will be cuttng 3 of the 4 debated trees tom. i will get pics of the bark and then what the wood looks like

cut about 20 white oaks today, along with about 15 hickorys, some poplar, beach, and hard maple. the hickory has grayish, platey, hard bark, white sapwood, and a dark center heart, rather than the white oak with the, whitish, softer bark, with a pinking colored wood that doesn't have any real heartwood color. also is there are any limbs on the shagbark hickory with buds on them the buds at the end of the limbs will look like a big upside down teardrop, hickory will also be pretty stringy wood when split and hard to split where the white oak will be easy to split. and when cutting the shagbark hickory does the bark fly up and smack u in the face and it stings like a sob when u touch down with the saw?
I can show you white oak that has dark heartwood hit by lightning topped etc that bark looks like white oak I have seen shag and it has a more shaggy outer surface than picture shows but that is why I asked him how 3 split as you say it separates much easier than any hickory or pecan. Locust is twice as easy and less poisonous than osage as it throws sparks cutting it :laugh:

Now it could be pecan

Last edited:
hickory will also be pretty stringy wood when split and hard to split where the white oak will be easy to split. and when cutting the shagbark hickory does the bark fly up and smack u in the face and it stings like a sob when u touch down with the saw?

I had bark smack the face screen of my helmet multiple times, but it was one of the oaks. All the bark was peeled off of the hickory I cut today and it was very stringy when trying to split it. None of it was easy to split tho. I noticed that the hickory splintered out the back of the cut, left the edge lined with needles.

Ian

any form of hickory, (shagbark, pignut, pecan) is some of the easiest trees to split when felling around here. very easy to pull the side out of the tree or pull the heart out of it if one isn't careful

That may be shell less shaggy?

Yes, it is. Shagbark has the bark that you can peel off in big, long strips. Shellbark has shorter strips that are "tighter" to the tree. I had some Shellbark a few seasons ago, and one of the things that I see in the picture that I remember from the wood is the fact that there's a red tint to the bark, which this had. It's also excellent fuelwood. I wish that there was somewhere that he could take it to get it properly ID'ed so that we know the answer! I also looked at the pictures of bark in my "National Audubon Field Guide" and it's pretty much spot-on as Shellbark.

we don't have any shellbark around here, so it might be, the only thing that we have around here that resembles that is shagbark. so who knows, but any hickory is good firewood

Back