yet another wood i.d. thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostnut

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Got lucky and met a farmer wanting some trees taken out of an old fence line. Cut a couple truckloads of cherry and one of these (see pics). Wood is very yellow/green and heavy. Tree was "brushy" to me, had to drag lots of small branches. Three stems all about 18" dbh came out of the stump and the tree wasn't easy to drop since it was somewhat innertwined. I have a guess but would like a more educated one. What do you think?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The wedge kinda reminds me of Aspen. We don't have any with "bushy" branches though.

Could be due to lots of sunlight, because they are in a fence row?

I'm gonna guess "mix breed".
Paws are to small and toes are to pointed to be a large working breed. I'm thinkin collie mix.:jester:
I have no idea on the wood though.

AIM, you just about nailed it! Not a mix but a border collie, 100%.

I really dont think this is locust, never seen one grow the way this tree did and the bark on the smaller branches seems too smooth to be locust. Canopy was also much thicker and larger than a typical locust around here.

My guesses are mulberry and hedge but......I really dont know, thats why I'm asking you!

Mulberry. Locust around here in my experience has a much deeper bark. That bark is too smooth for locust. Definately not hedge.

Latest posts

Back