yet another wood i.d. thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im gonna go out on a limb and say american elm.

They generally require a lot of limbing and the pics do look a little stringy...The bark looks a lot like american elm bark.

We'll see what the tree id king tomtrees has to say.:cheers:

Our Black Locust isn't quite that yellow.

attachment.php

is that black locust, or honey locust?

is that black locust, or honey locust?

Maybe it is Honey Locust.

There are a couple of Honey Locust trees close by. They have monster bundles of thorns and the bark is a lot smoother.

The tree the pic came from only had a thorn here and there. No bundles/bunches.

Last edited:
If it's yellow and heavy it's either Osage Orange(hedge apple) or Mulberry. Thorns meand Osage for sure but some don't have thorns. I believe it's a male/Female thing with them but not sure. At any rate, both have great heat value to burn and you'll like it!

Yep, that's my call too. -WSJ

There are a couple of Honey Locust trees close by. They have monster bundles of thorns and the bark is a lot smoother.

Doubt it. Honey locust trees are not at all "bushy." They're often quite tall witha good trunk or multiple trunks. And the wood is dense but not stringy or yellow/orange. Splits like red oak, dries nicely, and burns great when aged. The thorns are a dead give away - nobody happening on a honey locust and not know what it was could fail to mention the thorns.

-WSJ

Doubt it. Honey locust trees are not at all "bushy." They're often quite tall witha good trunk or multiple trunks. And the wood is dense but not stringy or yellow/orange. Splits like red oak, dries nicely, and burns great when aged. The thorns are a dead give away - nobody happening on a honey locust and not know what it was could fail to mention the thorns.

-WSJ

My post was referring to this pic.

attachment.php

Update:

Sure looks like Lignum nailed this one. Check out the difference in color after being split for about a week.

The "meat" looks like locust, but the bark is definitely no, so rule out locust. Nor does it look like Osage bark, therefore I'll go with the mulberry. By the way, Locust meat is yellow when fresh, and turns darker as it ages also.

PaPlumber... Honey Locust has thorns that no man would want to encounter.... Black Locust, not so much.

Mulberry

I think mulberry, it will grow in a clump of 2 or 3 and get quite large in diameter then will break over but not break completly off of the stump. I have seen it start to shoot root like shoots out of the bark after it has fallen and will continue to grow limbs straight up out of fallen trunk after most of the bark is gone. It burns great when dry, much like locust, but seems to be lighter in weight when dry than locust.

igloo.

Latest posts

Back