Yikes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ohiowoodguy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Had the truck and trailer (over)loaded with 3-year-ago-cut firewood logs (should have been fairly light) pulling out of the owners driveway slightly uphill, stopped at the end and slid 30' back down and almost off the driveway on ice. My guy brought the skidder (JD 440B) up and backed down to the front of the truck to pull and also slid:jawdrop:; 8 tons of log bumper heading towards the F450!

Luckily he's not only smart, but fast and lucky- he dropped the blade and stalled the skidder and it stopped with 10" to spare:cheers:.

He idled off the ice to the road and winched me up:bowdown::angel:.

Had the truck and trailer (over)loaded with 3-year-ago-cut firewood logs (should have been fairly light) pulling out of the owners driveway slightly uphill, stopped at the end and slid 30' back down and almost off the driveway on ice. My guy brought the skidder (JD 440B) up and backed down to the front of the truck to pull and also slid:jawdrop:; 8 tons of log bumper heading towards the F450!

Luckily he's not only smart, but fast and lucky- he dropped the blade and stalled the skidder and it stopped with 10" to spare:cheers:.

He idled off the ice to the road and winched me up:bowdown::angel:.

Cool to hear it all worked out ok in the end! I see this kind of stuff happen from time to time at landfills in the winter. Can be kinda scary stuff!

Glad it worked out. We all have close calls from time to time.

So you have a Skidder......Sounds nice.:rockn:

Yikes for sure!! Nothing quite like the feeling of helplessness when you can't physically control something happening to your vehicle...

Man, that has got to be the worst feeling, watching in slow motion a 8 ton rig sliding towards your truck.
I got backed into several years ago in a lumber yard. A lumber truck was backing his 40 ft trailer into the yard.He was backing slow, and only looking out his passenger side mirror. I was yelling and jumping up and down as he approached my truck, but he never looked out his driver side mirror to see me.
I ran for the cab, but it was too late. He Tboned me right in the drivers door, and pushed my truck a little over 5 feet sideways before I reached the cab and jumped up on the running boards and beat on his window.
He swore he never felt his trailer hit my truck.The insurance company ended up totalling that truck, too much damage to a one year old truck.
That was the longest ten seconds of my life!

Glad it worked out, it could have gone wrong in so many ways.

Back