Deliveries: Have you ever hit anything?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The "Oh, crap!" moment...
I'm watching the back of the trailer in the passenger mirror. Margaret is watching the front of the truck while I'm backing the trailer 90° to the passenger side. She got the trailer past a privacy fence on the blind side, the drivers side, and I told her to watch the front. I could not straighten the trailer out because I was tight on the front drivers side. The plan was to back as far as I could, the trailer getting close to a retaining wall drop at the edge of the drive on the passenger side. Then pull ahead to straighten, then back further. Well.. backing on an arch, I got the beautiful, seven foot tall, Cedar privacy screen between the truck and trailer, and I wasn't watching it.
Homeowner said stop!!! Just as I touched it... No damage, but lesson learned.
I assumed the trailer cleared and all was good there. Just a quick look in the review would have prevented that.
I would have caught 6" of it with the corner of the box.
Beautiful modern custom house (a whole neighborhood full of them), but the driveway was not designed to be functional, for trucks and trailers, or plowing. The home owner commented to Margaret that his wife would love to see the privacy screen come down. He had driveway markers for the plow truck, which I did not want to take out, because the ground is freezing and would be hard to get back in. They were also a good indication of where not to be, landscaping wise as well. We squeaked out. Margaret bent a couple small 1" tree stems over near the front bumper.
That "opps!" could have cost thousands between the cost of the custom privacy screen and the damage to the truck box.
16' of trailer, plus the tongue, and regular cab w/8' box. This is when it was new, it's a year old this month.
Edit:
The customer was very nice.
Margaret just told me something funny.
He told her (and I missed it when we were there), he's an architect.
IMG_4332.jpg

I sometimes have people guide me back that don't have much experience.

The often think that I want them to tell me how to steer, and to guide me in, but that's not what I want.

I want a squawker.

Someone to 'squawk', and squawk loud, if I'm about to hit something.

If they squawk then I get out and look around and refresh myself with the situation.

That homeowner saved you both a lot of headache.

Nice rig by the way.

This is exactly why I delivered wood exactly twice in 9 years with a trailer...
Once was a desperate customer, there were not options....
Second was a load of logs that just happened to be on a trailer.

Everything else is a truck. preferably a dump truck. And we STILL managed to get into trouble once.
Tore up a hunk of vinyl siding. by backing in and not watching what was going on. Homeowner was "flipping" out on us for being 5 hours late. Lesson learned, the hard way.
3 cords of wood delivered for a $40 piece of plastic...

So... if you EVER back into something, and the homeowner is being a jerk. Pull your truck out. Call the fuzz, make a accident report. Let the insurance cover the property. Oh, they want the wood? Sorry. Take it to the parking lot, and put a cardboard sign on it.

WIth the delivery drivers I have had, and the places... no way would I want a dump trailer.

My son took out the eaves of a house with his dump truck. Watched carefully to make sure he cleared it when raising the bed. Then pulled forward into it.
Homeowner was great about it. Promised not to “call his boss”. I guess he didn’t realize my son was the owner and sole employee.

I delivered to the same customer a year later after our son moved away and we assumed the business. Customer never said a word. The damage was still very evident.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have had a ton of close calls. But been very fortunate not to do any real property damage delivering firewood. One of the worst was a few weeks ago I had a bleeder screw let loose on one of the cylinders on my dump bed. I pumped around 1/2 gallon of oil in a lady’s driveway before I noticed something was wrong.
Doing tree jobs we we’re constantly having close calls and a few minor mishaps. I don’t take many of those any more unless they are easy. Worst one of those was a giant pecan tree that went over a lady’s roof. I was cutting these 12” rounds into firewood holding them with one arm and one handing the chainsaw. I cut one of the last of them and the weight was too much and I went through the garage roof. I came to a stop standing on a shelf in the garage closet. Lady told me to patch it best I could, it was not good!
I was doing a monster job one time cutting like 10 big trees out of a yard. Let a guy beat me up on price so we were mostly working for wood. We were cutting them all into firewood. I started on the far side because there was a huge bee hive under a lid to an old butane tank In the yard. I told the guy it had to leave. Anyway he wanted me to pay for it and I told him not my problem, he said tough luck. I needed the money and rattlesnakes were bad in the grown up pastures that summer so I figured I’d try the bees. I made it to the last tree cut the notch to fall it and got attacked. I ended up leaving that tree standing and loading I think about 10 cords of green firewood wearing a bee suit I borrowed. Suit was a little tight and bees could bite me where it pulled right. It was hot as hell too and I was so mad by the time I got the wood picked up I left all the limbs and never went back. Guy pestered me for a year about the small limbs and lone tree. Told me the bees had calmed down. I never got paid either besides the wood. $1450 at that time delivered to Lubbock, Tx. I sent him several bills for half what we discussed. As many bites as me and my brother had I’m shocked there was any bees left.

I am insured, just hope it never comes to that.
I did hit something a couple years ago.
Customer had seven or eight steps to back door, and a 5" high platform at the bottom of the steps.
It was a tight run-around with the short wheel base Top Kick 5500. I knew I was backing over the platform on the blind side with the bumper, to pull forward to straighten up and back again. The drive was on a slope, which unknowingly, lowered my bumper a lot, and I caught it, pushing about two inches, breaking the support posts.
I'm unloading and the husband comes home for a quick dinner. I mention the platform and he says, can we do away with the platform and add a step. He goes in the house. I'm still hand unloading, and looking at the steps. That would mean moving the lower handrail post, lengthening the handrail and stair stringers...and it was my sons wedding in three days. Oh, crap.
Guy comes out after dinner and said he's been thinking. The repair would in fact be a lot more then the damage. He was happy with knocking some off the firewood cost to cover materials for something he planned to do anyway. Win/win. They have moved, but used to heat with wood and bought six cords a year.
Another delivery I backed alongside a garage, on the blind side of course. Concrete slab wide enough for a vehicle or boat, retaining wall a few feet away from the slab, and retaining wall to the back. Got out to unload off the flatbed, and I had just missed an air conditioning unit up high on the side of the garage. The palletized bundles on the truck were five feet high above the bed. Yeow!

IMG_2210.jpgIMG_6269.jpgIMG_6270.jpg
These photos are from earlier this summer. Two different deliveries.
When dumping, the load slides to the rear and the first row off topples over. The other rows stack like fallen dominos when pulling ahead.
Today I did a one cord delivery, four rows 42" high, stacked over the axles, and slightly forward.
When I raised the box the load easily slid to the rear, as the box was wet. We had about an inch of snow over night after loading the trailer.
The approx. 4,000 pounds shifted past the trailers rear axle, the truck/trailer slid 3 1/2' - 4' forward on the 1" of snow.
The driveway barely had enough slope to shed rain.
The load shift lightened the trucks rear axle (parking brake axle) and possibly the load may have had some kinetic energy push as well, as it comes out very quickly, and the remaining elevated portion in the trailer suddenly stops. The elevated box becoming a wedge that may be being pushed out.
Ykes!!! I was lucky.
The house overhead power feed 6' to the side of the trailer. The truck was directly in front of the trailer, without any obstacles, or people, near it. The trailer was level side to side.
EDIT: In the photo above I had backed up a slope to the concrete patio. I had the home owner watch the bottom edge of the box coming off the slope.
Yesterday I got a call for two cords to be delivered in a several days. I always ask if the driveway posses any challenges. This person said maybe, that there is a bit of a steep section. I said I would text her before check it out tomorrow. I delivered to a relatively close neighbor of theirs this spring, and definitely could not get in there this time of year with snow. That was a very steep gravel drive with beach sand dune beyond the gravel edges. No turn around with a trailer at the top. Backed up in four wheel low pushing two cord. I couldn't have pushed the empty trailer a foot up there today.
I'll check it out tomorrow, but pretty sure it's going to be a no go unless there is room to turn around. Todays delivery there was a poll barn and room to do a three point turn. I'll do what I can, but not my problem if they wait this long to purchase wood. Time to pull my ad.

View attachment 952484View attachment 952485View attachment 952489
These photos are from earlier this summer. Two different deliveries.
When dumping, the load slides to the rear and the first row off topples over. The other rows stack like fallen dominos when pulling ahead.
Today I did a one cord delivery, four rows 42" high, stacked over the axles, and slightly forward.
When I raised the box the load easily slid to the rear, as the box was wet. We had about an inch of snow over night after loading the trailer.
The approx. 4,000 pounds shifted past the trailers rear axle, the truck/trailer slid 3 1/2' - 4' forward on the 1" of snow.
The driveway barely had enough slope to shed rain.
The load shift lightened the trucks rear axle (parking brake axle) and possibly the load may have had some kinetic energy push as well, as it comes out very quickly, and the remaining elevated portion in the trailer suddenly stops. The elevated box becoming a wedge that may be being pushed out.
Ykes!!! I was lucky.
The house overhead power feed 6' to the side of the trailer. The truck was directly in front of the trailer, without any obstacles, or people, near it. The trailer was level side to side.
EDIT: In the photo above I had backed up a slope to the concrete patio. I had the home owner watch the bottom edge of the box coming off the slope.
Yesterday I got a call for two cords to be delivered in a several days. I always ask if the driveway posses any challenges. This person said maybe, that there is a bit of a steep section. I said I would text her before check it out tomorrow. I delivered to a relatively close neighbor of theirs this spring, and definitely could not get in there this time of year with snow. That was a very steep gravel drive with beach sand dune beyond the gravel edges. No turn around with a trailer at the top. Backed up in four wheel low pushing two cord. I couldn't have pushed the empty trailer a foot up there today.
I'll check it out tomorrow, but pretty sure it's going to be a no go unless there is room to turn around. Todays delivery there was a poll barn and room to do a three point turn. I'll do what I can, but not my problem if they wait this long to purchase wood. Time to pull my ad.
On a side not do y’all get away with just dumping and go? Or do you have to stack it?

Sandhill, the cord on the buttons is as long as it is so you can operate it from the drivers seat. Unless you're cordless, then that's even easier.

Dumping in 4wd will turn the front axle into a parking brake axle as well.

Good to know.
But actually I was in four
wheel low when backing so I would not spin pushing the trailer.
The trailer is cordless. I was at the back of the trailer, listening to that bowling ball sound of nicely seasoned wood, and this time, watching the rig move silently, eerily, away from me... Three feet and still moving, and wondering if it was going to stop. The slope increased further away, but that would put it in the front yard.
I have one large set of wheel chokes in the back of the truck. I'll have to get a matching pair, and actually use them on the trailer when delivering. I do use the one at home. I disconnect on a slight slope and plug it in.
Margaret was with me to help spot backing in. In the future she could press the brakes which would apply the trailer brakes as well. Or as Casey said, I could do that.
The cordless is some what start/stop depending on operating location. The antenna is located within the A frame of the tongue tight to the front of the box. Never tried operating from cab as yet.
We got four plus inches of snow last night. Checking out the next delivery driveway with the Subaru today. Firewood pallets are starting to freeze down as well.
On an Oak side note and completely off topic, yesterday our son built a nice 14" x 30" floor register to replace one in his house. I picked up two pieces of 9/4 rough sawn 10" x 63", four years air dried. Surfaced it, dadoed and routed egg crate grooves, then ripped strips. A heavy quality blade is essential for good rips. Thin kerf isn't going to get it. The dado was a small dia.one. The short direction was routed deeper to retain strength length wise. Came out nice. He was very, very happy with it.
Happy New Year to you all...
Greatly appreciate all the comments, sharing, and help this past year.

Sandhills, I would be very reluctant to take that nice trailer out on salty roads. You don’t want it ending up looking like mine does. Salt is tough on the paint!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have one more delivery and done for the winter.
A one ton dump truck would have a huge advantage delivering in the winter over what I have. Weight over the drive axles being the huge difference. However, when I used the Top Kick 5500 12' flatbed, I was stuck as soon as soon as I was unloaded. So in addition to being a dump, four wheel would almost be a must. Sand and ashes only go so far.
Paint: So far so good at one year old. There are a few chips I touched up with primer. One spot on the inside of the tailgate that started to crack and peel. I did a liberal dose of WD-40. I did not spray the inner frame tubes with stuff, I forget the name of it, like Casey suggested in another blog.
I had considered winter deliveries but decided against it after doing several this week with snow covered roads. I've turned down two deliveries today.

Took the pickup up/down the one lane delivery in question. Decided I could probably do it with the pickup alone but I'm not going to. Did not go up their drive. Going up isn't the problem. Coming down in a slide would be a huge problem. 90° at bottom of short steep drive, or continue straight down the side of the dune a hundred feet. I have one pair of cables (instead of tire chains) but I would need two more pair. I'm sure someone will try it. End of story for me.

Took the pickup up/down the one lane delivery in question. Decided I could probably do it with the pickup alone but I'm not going to. Did not go up their drive. Going up isn't the problem. Coming down in a slide would be a huge problem. 90° at bottom of short steep drive, or continue straight down the side of the dune a hundred feet. I have one pair of cables (instead of tire chains) but I would need two more pair. I'm sure someone will try it. End of story for me.
That's like me delivering fish to customers ponds. When they say I can drive off the driveway to the pond, I ALWAYS walk it first, and if it rained within the previous week even then I am leery. I have carried many 5 gallon buckets of fish to a pond. Customers don't realize what a pickup truck with 190 gallons of water in it and a trailer with 1,000 gallons of water in it weighs.

4 wheel drive is a must, and even then there were many times that I said I can't deliver, do you have a side by side to take the fish back there? One place I can't get the trailer into the property even though the driveway is blacktop it's 9 or 10 feet wide, VERY narrow gate, and driveway makes a 90° turn as soon as you get past the gate, which opens inward, plus it's on a busy 2 lane street. There is no way to turn around once back at the house either, even with just the PU truck I have to do a 4 point turn to turn around.

I've been lucky to not damage anything on a firewood delivery. Lot's of tight squeezes and close calls. I like to spot the route and will get out and check for clearance in blind spots when I'm not confident mid route.

I've had horrible success with inexperience spotters over the year and pay little attention unless they flat out say stop. They often don't understand the path to navigate a truck and trailer. I always try to tell them if you can't see me or my mirrors, I can't see you. It doesn't seem to help much as they always stay in my blind spot.

My 10 and 12 year old kids have become pretty good spotters and often do it without asking. My daughter has been asking to do weekend firewood deliveries with me lately, she has figured out it gets her out of other chores my wife may have asked her to do and I love the company!

I did a tree job last week for an architect (homeowner) after some winter weather. Lots of planning and coordination went into the job and he was notified that I was on my way as they wanted to get the cars out of the driveway. The driveway was long, twisty, uphill and icy. I backed the chipper in thru the tight granite wall entrance and start to spin the tires on the 4500. I put it in FWD and made my way up to the house to find out they had not move the cars. I pulled back out into the road and they move the cars. On my 2nd try it was even more slippery and the whole truck slid sideways into a ditch. I was super luck the be able to use the 12K winch on chipper to get out.

Latest posts

Back