Yoshino cherry leaves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benso37

Reaction score
Is this the Yoshino Cherry tree? I have the same tree and just 2 days ago I saw the same yellow leaves on what had been a nice healthy tree. I planted it early spring and it's been green and healthy until now and I'm not sure what's changed. It get's watered, the soil is moist but not soaked.

Does anyone know what's causing this problem? Is the tree pretty much dead or can I save it? All the leaves are wilted and some are yellow as you can see in the attached pictures.

View attachment 190037View attachment 190038

Not familiar with that particular cherry specie.Does look stressed.Might pull the mulch away from the root crown,gently pull the soil away from that area..look for signs of root rot,or soggy soil.What is the soil type?Clay soils don't drain very well,and over a period of time water has puddled under the root ball,creating an anerobic condition.If the soil type is well drained,there still might be a problem with ''puddling.''Sometimes when holes are dug shovel work will glaze the sides of the hole and create a drainage barrier.If you find anything let us know!And if you do,post a few pics...right side up......Good luck

cherry tree

What's the weather been like? Cherry roots do not, I repeat do not like their roots being wet or standing in saturated soils for to long. In some cases all it takes is to sit in saturated soils for a few hours and the roots are dying off. Not much you can do for now.

Does anyone know what's causing this problem?

What makes you think the yellow leaves are a problem? Benjamin Fig for example, grown indoors or outdoors, sheds yellow leaves often. And that's normal. Healthy trees can get yellow leaves.

The photo doesn't show much yellow at all. Most looks green.

If the exterior leaves were yellow too, I'd be more inclined to think there was something wrong.

What was written by others about the water is right, whether there is a problem or not.

Last edited:
Vaden,take a close look at the leaves.They're not crisp,they're drooping,and there is a transition from dark green, to lighter green, to yellow;an indication of stress.

Last edited:
Vaden,take a close look at the leaves.They're not crisp,they're drooping,and there is a transition from dark green, to lighter green, to yellow;an indication of stress.

Yes, I did look closely.

That's why it was evident that the exterior leaves were not yellowing like the interior leaves.

Edit

Not quite like the interior.

Had to load this in Photoshop for a better look and vertical. There are some leaves in the lower third of the image on the left that look rather faded.

The overall size of the majority of leaves seems to imply that the tree was in darn good shape overall. It would be interesting to see what's going on with that sprinkler below, and if it's aimed at the trunk or not. If it is, the wider the trunk gets, the more spray it would block and drop right into its rootball, which could be an issue. Or, if the pipe was leaking beneath the surface.

Is this the Yoshino Cherry tree?

We also have a unique scenerio here. A question about whether it's a variety, using photos that may or may not be showing a significant problem.

If it is Yoshino, the leaves may not look drooped until maybe late summer or autumn. It it is not Yoshino, then what other ways should leaves be oriented? And what variety is it?

The image did not include EXIF data, so I couldn't tell whether this was a recent pic, or from another month. Getting down to the nitty gritty, the OP did not say that the tree in the photo was their tree, or whether that was another to which they were comparing theirs. I'm just assuming for the moment, that it is their tree.

Last edited:
What's the weather been like? Cherry roots do not, I repeat do not like their roots being wet or standing in saturated soils for to long. In some cases all it takes is to sit in saturated soils for a few hours and the roots are dying off. Not much you can do for now.

The weather has been very hot down here in south jersey. However, I do water the tree. I do have some clay on the property but it's about 22 inches below grade. I didn't think that will be a problem but perhaps it's preventing the water from properly draining.

Yes, I did look closely.

That's why it was evident that the exterior leaves were not yellowing like the interior leaves.

Edit

Not quite like the interior.

Had to load this in Photoshop for a better look and vertical. There are some leaves in the lower third of the image on the left that look rather faded.

The overall size of the majority of leaves seems to imply that the tree was in darn good shape overall. It would be interesting to see what's going on with that sprinkler below, and if it's aimed at the trunk or not. If it is, the wider the trunk gets, the more spray it would block and drop right into its rootball, which could be an issue. Or, if the pipe was leaking beneath the surface.

We also have a unique scenerio here. A question about whether it's a variety, using photos that may or may not be showing a significant problem.

If it is Yoshino, the leaves may not look drooped until maybe late summer or autumn. It it is not Yoshino, then what other ways should leaves be oriented? And what variety is it?

The image did not include EXIF data, so I couldn't tell whether this was a recent pic, or from another month. Getting down to the nitty gritty, the OP did not say that the tree in the photo was their tree, or whether that was another to which they were comparing theirs. I'm just assuming for the moment, that it is their tree.

Let me try and answer some of your questions...

The attached images were taken about 10 minutes before I posted the original thread. This is my house and my tree. As you indicated in your post, this was a VERY healthy looking tree. I'm not exactly sure when I put it in the ground but it's been there for at least 4 months. Also, this tree is definitely a Yoshino tree, it was between this and the pink dogwood and I went for the Yoshino.

Sadly, I don't think the tree will make it no matter what I do. It went from nice healthy green leaves to 70% dead within 5 days. Compare the pictures I posted a couple of days ago to the pictures below. You can clearly see that all the leaves are dying. They are turning crispy. Personally, I'm stunned and have no clue what happened here.

I don't think I over watered it, I don't think I have too much mulch around it BUT I did just put that bubbler around the base about two weeks ago. Did I perhaps damage some of the root while installing the bubbler? I don't know. Maybe I'll try another tree next spring or not.

Thanks for all the feedback.

View attachment 190297View attachment 190298View attachment 190299

Latest posts

Back