Yoshino Damage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morgaj1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Stupid me. While weedeating and daydreaming yesterday, I managed to skin a piece of the lower bark of my Yoshino Cherry Tree. It is about 4 years old, 8-9 feet tall and was transplanted this spring. I am certain that I got into the cambium layer. The damage is about 2"x3". Is there anything that I should do or just let time heal it?

Here they are:

P7030001.jpg

P7030006.jpg

P7030003.jpg

P7030002.jpg

Hmm sos looks a nasty wound on a transplanted tree that may go either way. Seal up in time and carry on, or continue give your tree vascular trouble as bark peels away.
Remedy's are
1. Leave alone wait n see
2. Plant 3 new trees while you wait
3 Try some grafting tape to secure that split bark, will need to monitor dry or to wet under it.
I,m not gonna ask about your planting/staking method?? others will do that.
I use an OZ product to help estabishment and protection of new trees. Its just a plastic ring guard around tree base. Helps keep in mulch keep away weed eaters and better your water application.

http://www.fytogreen.com.au/products/greenwell/index.html

You can make one by just cutting off base of a plastic planter pot trim it down a bit turn it upside down and half bury it into ground.

Good luck

Thanks for the info. I went today and bought a boatload of mulch to spread tomorrow. I know what needs to be done with the mulch, just haven't had the time. If I had mulched it appropriately, I would not be in this mess...

Back