You burning yet?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1st fire in the new house closed on it yesterday and was working there this evening and the wife decided we should enjoy the fireplace
91431e8ecd1a9795bc0ae534910ef919.jpg

cf8f815f7818a746836b6c35a315f3a4.jpg

sent from my electronic leash

No fire yet, but I did stack a little in the basement. Temps getting in the low 30's at night, frost in the morning. AC turned off but still opening windows and doors during the day. Still to warm to kill hogs.
We killed our hogs 2 weeks ago but had to borrow a reefer from a farmer friend

Fired it up this morning for the first time to heat the garage. Was low 20's here this morning, but up near 60 by evening, so let it go out instead of reloading.

We should have seen our first snow weeks ago, sure has been warm this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lit up the "little giant", Jotul 602 Wednesday the 9th after the wife, wrapped up in blankets on the couch, said it was a bit chilly. Celebrated the Marine Corps 241st Birthday feeding the stove and sipping on some Cooper's Craft, oh what a warm glow, the stove was doing good as well. Louisville, KY temps are hitting freezing overnight now. The house is insulated very well for a 1926 vintage and the little stove does good taking off the chill. I'd like something with a little longer burn time and the 602 may end up in a retirement cabin one day.

Send out to get smoke cured
Dad used to salt cure everything. Had to soak meat in water before cooking to get rid of some of the salt. Later on he started using a salt/brown sugar cure, but never got the mixture quite right so it was hit or miss. Smoking was never anything we ever tried, but I have always wanted to. My Uncle and first cousin have been butchering hogs for other folks for a long time. Its mostly my cousin doing the butchering now. Because of the unpredictable temps, he bought a cooler to hang the meat in. He has been cureing some and dabbleing in smoking after cureing with pretty good results. The trick is knowing when the meat has taken enough cure before using the smoke. He gave me some maple smoked side meat a while back that was really good. Fried it like bacon and made gravy with the grease. Throw in a cathead biscuit and a couple of fried eggs and its making my mouth water just thinking about it.

Forgot to add, built first fire in stove last night. Used small splits to built a bed of coals and threw in some large sticks, turned down the draft and let burn out over night. Furnace didnt come on all night and I had plenty of hot water this morning. Probably build another tonite, weather warming outside during daytime.

Just started this week with a fire each evening. Feels good and stops the LP furnace which makes for better sleeping.

Burnt twice here so far on days it got chilly between unseasonably hot stretches, but supposed to make low 30s three nights in a row this weekend so likely my first sustained burn. My wife says she is chilled below about 68 in the house, so even though it's not frigid outside, I'm trying to avoid last year's $400 monthly propane bills! (couldn't burn, both flues in new house needed re-lined this summer).

I have so far gone through more wood to this day (started early nov maybe even late oct.)then I burnt all last season. Anyone else?

We aren't even close to using what we used last year at this time. It's been very mild with the exception of last week where we had the stove and the insert gong to keep it 74 in the house.

sent from a field

I have so far gone through more wood to this day (started early nov maybe even late oct.)then I burnt all last season. Anyone else?

Have burned around a cord or so so far. Emptied the ash yesterday for the first time, about 7 gals worth. Been burning almost 4 months. Another 5 to go.

Burned about 350 pounds of wood in 5 days during the last 40 below cold snap. About a 1/4 cord.
Now its only 5F, plus the days are getting longer.

Back