YOU can't hand file properly!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rokon

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
According to this CL poster...

"For $6.00 I will expertly sharpen your chainsaw chains up to 28" including the rakers (depth guages). The 32" chains will be $8.00 and any chains over 32" the price will vary depending on the length. After I sharpen your chains the teeth will be razor sharp and the depth guages will all be the same height and it will cut better than new. I can sharpen your chains while you wait or you can drop them off. If you bring me 6-chains or more I will only charge you $5.00 per chain.

I am available 7-days a week so feel free to call or e-mail anytime.

If you are hand filing your chain you are NOT getting the proper angles, lengths or depths on the teeth. I know this because I used to hand file myself. After you see how even, precise and sharp your chains are after I sharpen them you won't hand file again. Also with my machine sharpened chains they will last twice as long as hand filed because all of the teeth are cutting the exact same amount of wood instead of only half of them cutting more than others."

Call or e-mail.

Out in the woods and I have two more trees to go - I think I'll hand file.

Been hand filing them for more than 40 yrs. I'm not going to stop now.

The only people who'll answer that guy's ad are people who don't know any better.

No shortage there. Meanwhile, I'll happily continue maintaining little razors with the same Granberg guide I've used for ~35 years. He can come and watch- won't take long.

No shortage there. Meanwhile, I'll happily continue maintaining little razors with the same Granberg guide I've used for ~35 years. He can come and watch- won't take long.

I've found that, unless you nailed a rock and made some cutters real gnarly, that using a Granberg (or similar) guide is much quicker than using a machine.

Quite the sales pitch though... it's not like that machine started with human hands or anything...

Man im having all kinds of problems hooking up the degree wheel on my files to get the right angle :)

I don't like such guides, but who cares if it works for you! :msp_smile:

Been hand filing them for more than 40 yrs. I'm not going to stop now.
You can probably file a chain. If you have been square filing for 40 years then I would say you really know how to fill a chain. As for most on this forum, including me, a good man with the right ability to make you a chain, will suprise you as much or more, than a muffler mod.
When Gypo Logger first came onto this site he thought his file job could not be beat. He had been in the woods and round filing for years. It was good for sure but a square filled chain beat it easy. People that close their mind to new things don't always have the best idea.
Instead of the OP making fun of this guy, why not give him a try? Heck I will because the benefit may be great and the cost is very reasonable. Post his contact information and we can make our own decision instead of you making it for us. My brother works at a saw shop and believe me they grind hundreds of chains a month for people. Why do you make fun of a person trying to sell a service to people that may need it? Mike

You can probably file a chain. If you have been square filing for 40 years then I would say you really know how to fill a chain. As for most on this forum, including me, a good man with the right ability to make you a chain, will suprise you as much or more, than a muffler mod.
When Gypo Logger first came onto this site he thought his file job could not be beat. He had been in the woods and round filing for years. It was good for sure but a square filled chain beat it easy. People that close their mind to new things don't always have the best idea.
Instead of the OP making fun of this guy, why not give him a try? Heck I will because the benefit may be great and the cost is very reasonable. Post his contact information and we can make our own decision instead of you making it for us. My brother works at a saw shop and believe me they grind hundreds of chains a month for people. Why do you make fun of a person trying to sell a service to people that may need it? Mike

Is it your ad, Mike? That's a joke, BTW.

I'm guessing folks are put-off by the suggestion that their hand-filing is so bad compared to his sharpening skills.

Mike, I'll hand file a chain and you get one of the same ground by the op and we'll see whose is faster. I just reread the post and realize that was not the op's claim but a CL sales pitch but I know I can make a sharper chain by hand.

Last edited:
while i and many other folks can hand file a good chain. at night when i'm beat i'll gladly use my machine over hand filing. goes fast and i don't have to think to much about it while i have a relaxing beverage .

Mike, I'll hand file a chain and you get one of the same ground by the op and we'll see whose is faster. I just reread the post and realize that was not the op's claim but a CL sales pitch but I know I can make a sharper chain by hand.

You do that Mike. If you can hand file a fast chain for $5 how about you do a couple dozen for me? The chains I had done when I used to beat you and your son in the logging competition cost a lot more than that!
Besides my post had nothing to do with faster chain by experienced filers. It had to do with dummies and beginers like me that need help. Just because this is a chainsaw forum doesn't mean we all know how to file. In fact from the hundreds of chainsaws I have repaired for folks I would say few know how. Were you born knowing how to work on buses or did you have to learn?

Mike, I wasn't talking about a race chain either but anybody that cuts a lot of wood will be money ahead to learn how to file. If you spent a lot on chains to beat me and Aaron you wasted your money we weren't chainsaw racers, we were handsaw racers that brought a couple chainsaws along for fun. I'm still having fun ,what are you doing these days?

If you are hand filing your chain you are NOT getting the proper angles, lengths or depths on the teeth. QUOTE]

I think the issue is the guy is tellling me I can't file worth a darn and his ground chains are way better. Most would call bs on this, unless he is really good on a square grinder. Possible, but not likely.

Latest posts

Back