You don't need a moisture tester to check for seasoned wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OH CRAP I am in deep caca as I have been cutting, carrying in the house and burning fire wood since I was about 8 years old. I am 73 Now and still don't have a moisture meter of any kind digital or other wise.
Some how I have managed with out hurting any one who used their brains.

Sorry wifie I told you to always work across the pile and not just from the end. You didn't listen and that is why the pile fall and crushed your toes.

:D Al

I'm surprised you're not communicating with smoke signals rather than over the internet, with all of this newfangled tech :D

Since our boy Whitespider is over in the political forum beating down those commie libtards I’ll channel his canned response.

”Cheapo moisture meters are completely inaccurate and offer no real info , the only way an instrument like this can offer a reliable reading is if it’s calibrated using a known standard”

I was waiting for WS name to pop up in this thread...:surprised3:

24 face cord divided by 3, so 8 full cords. Do you need pictures of my wood rows? No big deal, they're just outside.

24 face cord divided by 3, so 8 full cords. Do you need pictures of my wood rows? No big deal, they're just outside.
I burn more than that, likely 12 or 13 full cords at least although I don't stack to know for sure. Most years I do well to make it through the season, finally this year I am ahead. I don't think many owb owners are 3-5yrs ahead so you must be doing something right.

I burn more than that, likely 12 or 13 full cords at least although I don't stack to know for sure. Most years I do well to make it through the season, finally this year I am ahead. I don't think many owb owners are 3-5yrs ahead so you must be doing something right.
Just looked at your sig. See your problem, you use Stihl's. :laughing::yes: Just can't help myself. Edit: thought @farmer steve would have giving me crap. I am very disappointed.

Never had a problem finding lots of nice fire wood to cut my self.
But have never had cable TV bill, nor a bill for a fancy cell phone. Just had a big loan for a lot of years when we bought the home place with 7 acres of mixed hard woods, the UP Michigan place with another 20 acres of hard wood.

Also found a saw mill that had their own crew who cut their saw logs. they would load my 24 foot tri axle equipment trailer with unusable for lumber logs and tops for $40.00 a full cord. Was getting 6 cord to a load, hauling it home and unload then take the trailer back for a second week to load another.

I would get some friends to split the loads and come and help me use the buzz saw on the tractor to cut it up.

That saw mill was pretty much put out of bussiness by a couple of Amish mills in the area.

When it looks like this I dont even bother to check it. Got about 2 to 3 cord like this about a month ago. Downed oak that was off the ground for many years. I did take some that was in the swamp looked like this still solid but wet View attachment 786111

That's as good as it gets right there.....it starts to petrify instead of rot.

So your MM says the chunk of wood has 15% moisture. What is the moisture content inside the chunk? Or is your wood so rotted you can push the prongs into the middle of the chunk?

Clunk test is more relieable. But Ya'll keep buying those MM's, those little chinese children need the work to keep them busy and not causeing the goverment trouble protesting.

I can tell when I grab a piece. Split wood dries fast in Texas. The top foot of a stack will be ready to sell as seasoned if it sits through July and august. The problem is as you move down a stack or deeper into it the wood isn’t dry. I’ve had some that sat a year that IMO was perfect for a fireplace or stove, but still too green for a bbq joint. I cut mostly dead standing wood anymore. Most of my business is BBQ joints and they dont want green cut wood that is seasoned, they want Barkless “grey wood” as they call it.

I need to get a meter to play with. Like right now, the green trees are fairly dry inside. Soon as we get a rain they will be wet enough to stain your shirt handling.

Back