Your Choice in aftermarket chains and bars?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
#1 Stihl ES
#2 GB Ti
#3 GB Pro Top
Never run a Canon,
Total, or Windsor, but it is very doubtful I will ever buy another Oregon again!!!
Andy

I prefer stihl chain
as far as bars, anyone that'll serve me;)

alright seriously I have only really used powermatch plus but they seem to do all right.

GB has quite a following if I am in need thats probably the way I will go but I will have to order it online no one stocks them around here that is why I have only tried the stock bars and the oregon PM plus.

buck

sawinredneck said:
Never run a Canon, Total, or Windsor, but it is very doubtful I will ever buy another Oregon again!!!

What's so bad about Oregon? I've never run one, but I thought they were supposed to be good quality?

rahtreelimbs said:
Seems that the steel has gotten softer on Oregon bars in recent years........they just don't last.

X2! I am not even happy with the factory Husky bars anymore, way to soft and wear out to fast!!
Andy

Can any of you vouch for a good online dealer of GB bars and Carlton Chain?

Thanks in advance

:blob2:

Interesting, I've actually been pretty happy with the 42" Oregon Power Match I bought a couple of years ago. It shows very little wear for the amount of hours on it. Otherwise, I usually use Stihl bars, and been very happy with them.

Chain is a mix of Oregon and Stihl, primarily Stihl on the bigger saws.

Mark

I like Stihl and Carlton chain and some Oregon. I think that the Stihl ES bars are best and I've noticed that the Oregon Pro Lite bars wear pretty fast. Power Matcha nd hardnose Oregon bars look like a good product.

best bar is the GB CN-40 Titanium. best chain is Stihl followed very closely by Carlton. i would rate the GB Pro-Top down lower with an Oregon Powermatch plus, good but not impressive.

who tests my chain? i let my dad have at it. he is an expert in rocking chain out and generally destroying it.

test material includes a constant supply of:
heavily creosoted railroad ties
decommissioned telephone poles
used concrete form sheets
recovered plywood
sand covered stumps

so far the worst on chain was the used concrete form sheets. left a brand new stihl chain half worn down. had to be ground away 50% to get back to good top plate material. carlton was about the same. dull chain does not stop him, he just pushes harder. makes for good tests of my mods also!

Many of the Carlton Bars are GB-Bailey's stocks them as well as Oregon, Windsor and Canon (Woodsman Pro) and their own "ArborPro"-which are at least in some cases seem to be from the same souces as the Carltons-same numbering system. Personally I have had no issues with Oregon's pro bars-neithe rPowermatch nor Pro-lites have shown undue wear. Some of the cheaper laminated bars do seem soft --since they are cheap I guess that is reasonable.The GBs I have used are fine bars-so are the SugiHaras.

About 20 years ago, I got turned on to Widsor bars, I still am using a couple I got back then. I have no idea if the newer ones are as good. I have several of the Winsor Speed Tip bars and have no complaints, but not enough hours to make a judgement about how long theywill last.

I like the Woodsman Pro chain. Good value, good chain. I have never compared it side by side with the Stihl. I like that I can order it online, unlike the Stihl.

Jim

Latest posts

Back