Your Choice in aftermarket chains and bars?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like Sandivak bars and Carlton or Stihl chain. I am mostly into race saws so I am frequently trimming bars for larger sprockets, I noticed that the Sandivaks are made of harder steel - maybe alien metal.

Total chains and bars. Good price and I like the way the bars last.
the chains hold a edge and don't streath out like the orgon brand.
Sthil chains are good but I think Sthil is way out of the ball park on price.
Just too darn proud of there products.
I would like to try out Carlton chains.

I prefer Stihl chain, but I usually buy the Oregon because of the lower price.
As far as bars go.......I've been pondering going back to Stihl. I currently have a 24" Windsor on my 084, it was made before Oregon bought them out. It has held up very well. When I needed a bar for my 046 (it had an Oregon, I wasn't satsified with it.) I bought another Windsor (last year). It's showing premature wear, (in my opinion).
I haven't tried the GB titanium, but I might. I haven't been convinced the Cannon/Woodsman pro bars are worth the money.

Ed

Oldsaw
Interesting, I've actually been pretty happy with the 42" Oregon Power Match I bought a couple of years ago. It shows very little wear for the amount of hours on it.

I use a 42” Oregon Power Match from time to time too. It works good, no complaints.

I’m not crazy about the 36" Cannon Super Bar, it uses the same (not so great) tip as the Oregon’s. Is heavier than a 36" Oregon too.

Musch
Can any of you vouch for a good online dealer of GB bars and Carlton Chain?
I get my GB bars from Jacks Small Engines.
I get my GB bars online from jacks small engines.
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/cb_index.html

Last edited:
sticking with stihl ES bars. mostly stihl chains, but lately going with who ever is offering the best deal.

chains

Here in Pennsatucky I like Carlton(woodsmanpro).They seem to give me better sparks when I am bucking!Seriously,they stay sharper longer and cut very well(round full chisel).They have harder chrome then Oregon.
Ed

Yep, it is the general consensus that Stihl's metallurgy is the best. Its that legendary German steel I think, Carlton/WP is right there with them. Oregon has great chain, but their metal is considerably softer.

Latest posts

Back