Your fav Bar and chain for bucking and limbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mifirewoodguy

I live off of 2 stroke gas and fresh cut oak.
Reaction score
Weve been trying different bars and chains on our bucking and limbing saws and our landing saws to see if theres a difference in which holds up and last the longest, keeps the best edge, etc... were running 20" and 24" chains...what say you?

GB Titainium or Pro top and Stihl ES both pretty durable in my Book for the money respectivly,,, but those High dollar cannon bars are the toughest ive ever used,,,,,, and they arent cheap...

The old sayin comes to mind "Ya get what ya pay for!!!!" Just sayin,,,,

Oh and Stihl RSC Chain BTW Hands down, Seems to stay sharper longer even in Slightly dirty conditions, more so than squaregrind,,, JMHO

Last edited:
My favorite bar I've used so far is the stihl es light in 28". I've been running full comp oregon square ground. I think if you have a designated landing saw it would benefit from semi chisel chain so it won't dull as quick. The carlton bars seem to hold up good. The tsumura bars are holding up as good as the cannon bar I have.

My favorite setup is a Cannon 28" with Stihl RSLK. If the wood is slightly dirty Stihl RSC holds up better then Oregon LGX, if it's really dirty I would use semi chisel and whatever sharpens the easiest because your going to be doing a lot of it.

I run Oregon bars on 2 of my saws, and they seem pretty durable. I have been very impressed with the Total branded Tsumara bar that I currently am running on my Jonny 625. I've been running it for almost a year with very little signs of wear. I run Oregon LG or LGX on all of my saws....

20" Oregon with round ground chisel on my XPW, and a 25" Stihl ES/ Stihl RSC on the 064. Works well for me, the XPW gets used more than any other of my saws. I do have a 24" Oregon PowerMatch and Oregon skip I keep around for the XPW when I need it.

All my saws have GB Ti bars in 3/8 .063 with Carlton semi chisel or Stihl RSC chains.

These are new fresh ones.
attachment.php

Back