Your favorite beater saw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lohan808

Powersaw addict
Reaction score
Hey folks,
I have recently thought a lot about the beater saw class of chainsaw. You know the one, always bouncing around the bed of the truck. Maybe the one you take out to the woodpile/ forest on crappy days, it looks like total sh*t and was even built from parts out of Dr. Frankenstein's dumpster heap.

I will start with my Mac10-10a. 74 model with shot out paint. Original hardnose 16" bar that just might be undead. There is enough paint missing to mistake it for a turd saw. However I did manage to score an NOS motor from Bob Johnson ( a true hero to many old saw enthusiasts ) and she just keeps on going. Share what you got, hope this turns into a real good thread.

Really not a beater saw, but it is my beater saw. my 550xp is always riding around in the basket on the ATV, back of the truck or jeep and on the tractor.

I think we need to change "beater" to "go-to" based on what has been posted here. My "go-to" saw is my Husqvarna 353 for smaller stock and my 257 for larger stuff. Then when the stock is even bigger, I rely on my Stihl MS441c-m or my Makita 6401 with a BBK. Both are lighter in weight than my Stihl MS 660 that remains a workhorse for monster work.

Heck, maybe Favorite, Beater, and Go-To are all synonyms here. Who knows?

Ported 372 is my go to.

Semi ported 026 is my beater. Jeep bike truck toss it in runs well on pump gas usually a sharp chain since I just beat it up and rarely cut with it. Its been with me for 12 ish years

The latest favorite beater is my newly rebuilt 2375 Wild thing. The darn thing starts first pull from cold every time, almost like it's trying to convince me it's worthy of some respect. It will get put into the "little saw for little jobs" lineup, like trail clearing or something similar until it proves itself.

Hey folks,
I have recently thought a lot about the beater saw class of chainsaw. You know the one, always bouncing around the bed of the truck. Maybe the one you take out to the woodpile/ forest on crappy days, it looks like total sh*t and was even built from parts out of Dr. Frankenstein's dumpster heap.

I will start with my Mac10-10a. 74 model with shot out paint. Original hardnose 16" bar that just might be undead. There is enough paint missing to mistake it for a turd saw. However I did manage to score an NOS motor from Bob Johnson ( a true hero to many old saw enthusiasts ) and she just keeps on going. Share what you got, hope this turns into a real good thread.

What engine?

20221025_180200.jpg
Mine got a 57cc "S" engine and it absolutely rips. I know old Bob had some.

The older 10-10 chassis is awesome it's very light

Have you heard the news of Bob?

My other beaters20221002_131107.jpg

What engine?

View attachment 1027957
Mine got a 57cc "S" engine and it absolutely rips. I know old Bob had some.

The older 10-10 chassis is awesome it's very light

Have you heard the news of Bob?

My other beatersView attachment 1027958
I purchased the original 54cc engine from Bob 3 yrs ago. He was invaluable in assisting me with the rebuild. What a kind and honest fella, full of insights on the old Mac saws. I have heard and read of his illness. Have been praying for him every day since.

My beater is my ported BB 044 w/a 52mm top end. This was my main falling saw for a bit when I first built it. Since then, it's been relegated to my "toolbox" saw that just lives in the toolbox of my truck...where I live, it's not uncommon to have to cut a large tree out of the road.

It looks pretty in this pic back when I first rebuilt it, but it's totally a beater.
20220125_121411.jpg.253286f2a7e723a33ace539c36ef16e0.jpg

Back