Your favorite beater saw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honorable mention for a beater saw goes to the twin of my saw above. This one used to be my main saw before the other one took over. I learned a lot about porting by playing with a few different cylinders on this particular saw.

At this particular moment, it's built up as a ported hybrid with a domed piston/squish band. It's a really strong runner, but it mostly lives underneath my bench nowadays... it's actually more of a beater than the other one.
20211127_211820.jpg.78cf40b13a2cc277f4a270ad0d348c5e.jpg

Beater saw is my trusty 353. Never has or had an issue it just flat out works. Go to was my ported 357, now it a 400c. Went from a pure husky guy to husky below 60cc, stihl about 60cc

Echo CS-370. I have two of them and they spend most of their life bouncing around in the Quad basket or bed in the side by side. You just can't kill them, tough as nails, and very capable for the CC's. I have about a zillion hours on one of them and the only part ever replaced on it besides bars and chains was the chain drive sprocket.......

Hey folks,
I have recently thought a lot about the beater saw class of chainsaw. You know the one, always bouncing around the bed of the truck. Maybe the one you take out to the woodpile/ forest on crappy days, it looks like total sh*t and was even built from parts out of Dr. Frankenstein's dumpster heap.

I will start with my Mac10-10a. 74 model with shot out paint. Original hardnose 16" bar that just might be undead. There is enough paint missing to mistake it for a turd saw. However I did manage to score an NOS motor from Bob Johnson ( a true hero to many old saw enthusiasts ) and she just keeps on going. Share what you got, hope this turns into a real good thread.
I bought 2 of the jonsered 2250s saws. One of those in the truck every day. Cheap, light, reliable. I don’t mind beating them up whenever. and they Always work hard for me.

Echo 400. While I no longer beat on my saws (since I now know better), it has taken the most abuse in it's life and has barely needed anything other than bar oil, mix, bars, and chains to keep it running for the past 10 years.

Echo's seem to share a common thread: they aren't the prettiest, they aren't the most powerful, they aren't the most recognized/sold, but they can take a beating and keep on going.

I bought some big saws. I would say my 298 is the best beater saw I have. I really have never fixed anything not even a gas line. To let it set for 5 years and it starts not easy but will start. I have a 394 nicer to run. But the 298 has never felled as back up. The 2 series was a very robust chainsaw. I have a 272 and 262. The 262 never filled the blank for me. To big to for limbs to small for the truck.

Latest posts

Back