Your Favorite Homelite Model Under 80cc

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChainLightning

Vintage Saw Stalker
Reaction score
Since I posted this of Poulan in the past, heres Homelite.
I have to go with my 450 cause it looks very sexy...:hmm3grin2orange: :laugh:
Next I have to go with the XL-12 that stood the test of time.

XL12 is hard to beat in my book, but I am partial to the 150. It's such a cool looking saw. I had 4 at one time.

Like Jim, my favorite Homelite models are over 80cc. For under 80cc............I think I'd say one of the 77cc versions of the SXL-925. They don't really 'feel' any different than the 82cc versions to me. I haven't yet ran the 77cc and 82cc versions side by side in the same wood though.

'Runners up' for me would be the XL-12/SXL-AO series for their rugged service and the influence they had on the industry (first saws with 3/8" pitch chain and Tillotson HS 'cube' carburetors, first successful lightweight/powerful midrange saw that could do real work) and the Super E-Z Automatics. I haven't ran those little buggers as much as the XL-12/SXL's and the larger Homelites yet.......so I haven't really gotten 'attached'. Haven't gotten my XL-103 up and running yet (so I don't yet have an opinion of it). It's a handy little sucker, and they have a rep for being strong performers.

As for my favorite individual Homelite under 80cc.............it's gotta be this XL-12 that my wife bought me for my birthday in 2007. Got it on ebay from an AS member (who I've met since). Strong running saw. Has a P/C from a later SXL-AO swapped in (so it's really a 58cc Super XL-12 now).

100_2134.jpg

100_2133.jpg

Like Jim, my favorite Homelite models are over 80cc. For under 80cc............I think I'd say one of the 77cc versions of the SXL-925. They don't really 'feel' any different than the 82cc versions to me. I haven't yet ran the 77cc and 82cc versions side by side in the same wood though.

'Runners up' for me would be the XL-12/SXL-AO series for their rugged service and the influence they had on the industry (first saws with 3/8" pitch chain and Tillotson HS 'cube' carburetors, first successful lightweight/powerful midrange saw that could do real work) and the Super E-Z Automatics. I haven't ran those little buggers as much as the XL-12/SXL's and the larger Homelites yet.......so I haven't really gotten 'attached'. Haven't gotten my XL-103 up and running yet (so I don't yet have an opinion of it). It's a handy little sucker, and they have a rep for being strong performers.

As for my favorite individual Homelite under 80cc.............it's gotta be this XL-12 that my wife bought me for my birthday in 2007. Got it on ebay from an AS member (who I've met since). Strong running saw. Has a P/C from a later SXL-AO swapped in (so it's really a 58cc Super XL-12 now).

100_2134.jpg

100_2133.jpg
Has that one got the wicks in the gas tank and the special plug? BTW that is a beautiful C-5 (and XL-12 of course!!!). I just got a C-51 for my birthday. It is beat pretty good but has decent compression. No spark, no gas line, and corrosion starting at the top of the cylinder. Does not turn over rough so I think I can save it. If I can I am gonna take this one out in the woods and cut firewood with it for the hell of it. It has a very cool fat 16in roller nose too

Last edited:
I don't have much homelite experience but I do like my XL-12. I have a super XL that needs a coil and just received a 330 that runs but has some kind of carb issue. My attention is always drawn to the larger saws so sometimes the little ones don't get fix as quickly as they should.

I don't have much homelite experience but I do like my XL-12. I have a super XL that needs a coil and just received a 330 that runs but has some kind of carb issue. My attention is always drawn to the larger saws so sometimes the little ones don't get fix as quickly as they should.

The carb issue on the 330 is probably a bad boot under the carb, that is a very common weak point in the fuel delivery system.

The carb issue on the 330 is probably a bad boot under the carb, that is a very common weak point in the fuel delivery system.

Boot is brand new (replaced by the previous owner, another AS member). It is running way to rich no matter what I do. You can see the fuel pouring out of the jet in the carb with the cover removed. WOT is strong but you can't take you finger off the throttle or it will flood.

I have to say the super ez. Might even be my favorite homelite period..

Boot is brand new (replaced by the previous owner, another AS member). It is running way to rich no matter what I do. You can see the fuel pouring out of the jet in the carb with the cover removed. WOT is strong but you can't take you finger off the throttle or it will flood.

Time to take it apart and check it out, maybe the metering lever is too high raising the needle too far out of the seat.

Time to take it apart and check it out, maybe the metering lever is too high raising the needle too far out of the seat.

I gave it quick tear down today but didn't find anything out of the ordinary. Had a carb kit done as well. It didn't seam to have much movement in the needle but it did seam to be closing all the way under spring pressure. I will get back into it again at some point. I have a couple of 80cc+ saws that need my attention, lol.

100_2134.jpg

100_2133.jpg

That is a great looking xl12

My fav smaller Homelites have to be the xl 12's / super xl's. Those were the saws that I learned on. Great power and torque, and super reliable.

Latest posts

Back