Your favorite Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WOLF_RIVER_MIKE

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Allright boys, Right up front, I'm talking about a project saw, I'm talking about stock saws., This is the criteria (sp) What I'm asking this time is what would be you favorite rebuild of all time? If you were to go out to the shop and set down and think about your favorite saw, and didn't have the funds to buy it, or, wanted to learn how to build a saw, (basically, starting from the block). what would it be?

For me it's a Jonsered 49SP. The first saw I brought back from the dead was a 49SP that siezed. Now I have another one that slowed the fall of a tree and will need a crankcase. Motorsag (arboristsite member) has the hard parts I need but I'll be making the gaskets. I think the 49SP is very well built and is easy to work on. I have an 015 block -up project but they are TOO easy to work on.

slowed the fall of a tree

thanks sedanman, refering to a previous thread, that's what son, of. ("Time to let it go") thread said when that big a*s limb bounced back on that truck. I watched dad make the cut, it looked good to me. but son said i think, if i understood him right, (he was explaining to a crippled cousin on the ground, that the stem stayed on the trunk too long. said, dad hesitated on the back cut and allowed the limb to fall straight down, instead of breaking an falling off the "stump". Ther's lots to remeber in this world...:rolleyes:

Favorite saw

Hello Mike,
My vote for the best alltime saw to run or work on is the2100 husky. I dont know why husky ever replaced it with the 394. its not near as powerful or well balanced. Probably 60% of the loggers I do 372,385, and 066 stihls still have a 2100 husky that they save for the big trees. if husky had modified the 2100 barrel with quad ports stihl would only sell about 1/4 of the 066"s that they sell to the fallers. Its a saw that is very easy to work on and you get big power increase's modifing it
ken
[email protected]

I too am lookin for a project saw, preferably Stihl though. I just want to build one from scratch and know it inside and out.

Sonny the 070 can you still get parts for those ole horses?

rebuild

Give me an 051 or S10 Stihl. ( OK how many of you have seen an S10?). Something about those old saws. Get 2 051's idling out back and the Harley guys start looking around to see who's bike it is. Don't want to run them, just make 'em run.

Isn't the S10 the one that looks like an 070 and a 08S mated? They are pretty few and far between.

S10

Kind of an 08 with a smaller tillotson carb on it. seemed to rev better than the 08. Heavy and low rev, but put a 404 chain on it and you could cut lots of wood.

Stihltech , ya gotta love that S10. My favorite rebuild, 075 with 25" bar and 404 chain. Liked it so much bought another basket case to start on:D Big and Heavy!

right now i would have to say the 272xp and the 268. i have both with fresh motors and they cut like heck. they both have 24 inch bars on them and when put in a giant hard maple the just keep cutting. now all i need for them is the complete brake side and they will go to work. does anyone out there have the brake side for these saws? please!
marty

Latest posts

Back