Your first chainsaw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When i was 12 i was wandering around in one of our out buildings and found a homelite xl covered in oiliy dirt, I brought it up to the house and completly tore it apart ad cleaned every part of it. I wasn't able to get it running because it didnt have enough compression and "wasn't worth fixing" i messed around with it for a while more then started talking to my dad about a stihl 011av that was at our camp, he said i could have it. I cleaned that one all up and cut some with it then decided it buy a wild thinger ran it once and it put it away, a few months later i got talking to a neighbor and bought a 162 sg with a case and a 262xp for $50 neither one ran. I now have both of them running and use my 262xp a few times a week.:msp_biggrin:

This Mall was the first saw I ever owned. Paid $5.00 for it at an auction in 1978 and never really used it.

Oldchainsaws003.jpg

The next year I bought this Poulan 361 for $60.00.

McCulloch640001.jpg

I still have both of them, though neither has been run in 20+ years.

My first saw was a Stihl 015. It was a gift from my mother when I was about 20 years old. The first one that I bought was a Stihl 031AV. I still have that one 31 years later.

downsized_1217111023a.jpg

1979 or 80 Mcculloch 310
Echo , forget the model but it had a 24" bar
Partner 7000 with a 24" Windsor bar, still have and run , ocassionaly
Mcculloch PM 700 20" , wish I still had
I will have to post a fast forward picture

I got a used car and a brand new "Monkey Wards" chain saw when i turned 15. The car is long gone but I still have the saw. The saw is a Mono by the way......Al

First saw I ever run was a Stihl 028 that was my fathers which he bought new back in the 80's when I was born. Decided it is kinda hard to borrow a saw that's 5 hours away if you need it in a pinch. That led to my first "official saw" a Stihl 026pro that is fresh off a rebuild.

Hope to move back to southeastern Ohio with my wife and daughter and buy some land and heat with wood. So I like to tell the wife that I am buying all these saws to prepare for that move :rock:.

First saw I owned was the Ryobi in my sig, I was probably about 22 then. I bought it to remove some apple trees at my moms and some maintenance in my own yard. I came to this site looking to replace the Ryobi and bought a 361. It's all gone downhill since then. However, thanks to the advice on AS I was able to make the crappy Ryobi into a great little limber. I kinda like the little guy now :rock:.

EDIT:
The obligatory saw pic. I've since added an Oregon 16" bar and Stihl PS3 chain.
abo.jpg

Last edited:
First saw I ran, Homelite SuperXL or a ProMac 10-10A, can't remember for sure. First saw I bought for my own a Jonsered 70E.

My first saw

My first saw was a husky 44. I traded a bunch of things in my garage that I didn't need for it at a second hand store. Wish I still had that saw as it never gave me a lick of trouble. That was in 1989. Ran it for seven years before I sold it. Have owned a few other saws since then. Still planning to buy more too! Just way too much fun.

arrow13

Mine was a MAC 610, the last half way decent saw MAC built just too heavy. Then a 044 Stihl , 2 Echo CS510 brand new off Ebay for $200 each, still haven't spent a nickel on them besides bars and chains. The 044 got a new intake boot. Steve

Mine was a MAC 610, the last half way decent saw MAC built just too heavy. Then a 044 Stihl , 2 Echo CS510 brand new off Ebay for $200 each, still haven't spent a nickel on them besides bars and chains. The 044 got a new intake boot. Steve

I have to agree with you on the PM 610. There's a reason they call it a "cinder block" around here.

Husky 340 at 26. Had a tree to sort out and having moved no mate to borrow a saw off.

Still have itbut it's not been out for a while as have bigger saws for getting firewood now. And the dead dry stuff I can get doesn't need limbing.

My first saw is a Husqvarna 395XP. Bought it last year to cut firewood on my new property. Trees I'm cutting are 30-40m tall and range from 3-5ft in diameter.
Quite a learning experience bucking trees with a 395 and 24" bar. I was 30 when I bought it.

Before my own saw I had used my dads 372XP with 18" bar, so I had an idea of what I was doing.

Little red Homie XL2.

Bought at a garage sale almost thirty years ago. Paid 15 USD for him. 13 USD too much. Learned all about automatic oilers on him. Took me a couple weeks to get him running. Didn't understand pumper carbs..

Never going to part with 'Little Darlin'.

attachment.php

Perfect for the urban home owner.

Latest posts

Back