Your input & thoughts please.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hybridkarpower

hybridkarpower

Green eyes in the dark
Your thoughts on new Stihls

Ordered myself a brand spankin new MS-460 wrap handle today for $919 plus tax with 25" bar & 3x RSF chains. I think I did pretty good.

I always enjoy talking to the owner of my Stihl dealer because he has been logging since his 20s & at age of 63, the old man is a walking dictionary when it comes to logging & chainsaws.

He was telling me that Stihl is working on a whole line of "Strato" chainsaws ready to be launched within a year :angry2:

The old man is no salesman so I know he wouldn't try to put me together so he could sell more saws. And he knows that I like my stuff time proven & well tested such as the 460's & 660's. He told me that I better get my hands on couple of these saws when I can, they won't be around for long !!

Last edited:
MacLaren

MacLaren

Addicted to ArboristSite
IMO, I think if you gave even $50 more it would be well worth it due to the good relationship you have with the old man. Trust me, his kind are a dying breed. You know, life is. short so enjoy your saw and especially enjoy the comradary you have with your dealer. To me, a good relationship with your dealer is worth more than warranty ever made, or money itself for that matter. You are a lucky man. Not only did you get one of the best saws ever made, you also have a relationship with a dealer most people would love to have. Dealer support is everything IMO.

mdavlee

mdavlee

Tree Freak
That doesn't sound too bad. Those 460s sure do look good all shiny and new. A good dealer is a great thing. I couldn't even find cylinder bolts for a husky yesterday at 3 dealers.:help:

CentaurG2

CentaurG2

Addicted to ArboristSite
Ordered myself a brand spankin new MS-460 wrap handle today for $919 plus tax with 25" bar & 3x RSF chains. I think I did pretty good.

I always enjoy talking to the owner of my Stihl dealer because he has been logging since his 20s & at age of 63, the old man is a walking dictionary when it comes to logging & chainsaws.

He was telling me that Stihl is working on a whole line of "Strato" chainsaws ready to be launched within a year :angry2:

The old man is no salesman so I know he wouldn't try to put me together so he could sell more saws. And he knows that I like my stuff time proven & well tested such as the 460's & 660's. He told me that I better get my hands on couple of these saws when I can, they won't be around for long !!

Woof, that is some serious dough for 76cc. I paid $950 for my 395xp with a 36’’ bar and two chains shipped to my door and $700 for my dolmar 7900 with a 20” bar. You stihl boys must have deep pockets. It’s going to be a while before that bad boy pays itself off.

Anyhoo… as far as I know stihl has not been using CAT mufflers so they are kinda stuck with either 4-mix or strato. I think the currently have two pro level stratos on the market with the 261 rumored to be available soon. Not too sure what the delay is with the 261 release, probably something to do with clearing out excess 260 inventories. I doubt stihl will release a strato 461 as the current 441 is very close in power and weight. The 660 will probably be the last to fall. They never converted it to floppy caps. I am very curious as to what they are going to do with the 200T as it is the only one I stihl have some interest in but if you are not into new technology….get the old stuff while you can. Do you actually own a hybrid car??

caotropheus

caotropheus

ArboristSite Operative
hybridkarpower

You acquired a fine saw. The 460 is a piece of high performance and high precision machinery. The mix of fuel and oil smell, engine melody and the speed of wood chips flying in all directions is like poetry on the making, so much so that whenever I fire my 460 angels gather around me and applaud! No doubt Stihl is investing strongly in strato technology but to prove that traditional engines still rule the world of chainsaws is that the 044 is one of the most searched for models. Within the next 20 to 30 years people will keep speaking on the virtues of the 044, the 460 of course and many other models like the 440, 066, 026, 660 just to refer some examples.

Last edited:
hybridkarpower

hybridkarpower

Green eyes in the dark
Not anymore. Probably the worst financial flop in my life was getting a hybrid, but luckly I leased it & happily returned it after 3 years & I learned some painful lessons.
Lesson #1: The best car is the one that's PAID FOR.
Lesson #2: Avoid anything that requires "premium unleaded" unless its a Stihl :greenchainsaw:
Lesson # 3: Always drive something that you can work on yourself if necessary. Computer diagnostic tools, scan tools etc at dealers cost $60 per hour and up.

Do you actually own a hybrid car??

Last edited:
hybridkarpower

hybridkarpower

Green eyes in the dark
I couldn't agree more! Which is why I drive 8 miles out of my way to visit John for just about everything related to my chainsaws, trimmers & blower.

John works in the shop mostly & his daughter run the counter for him, he loves to share his logging stories with customers & would never hesitate to show you how to fix something if you ask him. Matter of fact, he just replaced my rim sprocket on my 660 & only charged me for the part ($10).

I was fully aware of his kind gesture, so I return the favor & gave him cash for my MS460 because I know he pays 3.5% service fee anytime when a customer swipes a credit card.

IMO, I think if you gave even $50 more it would be well worth it due to the good relationship you have with the old man. Trust me, his kind are a dying breed. You know, life is. short so enjoy your saw and especially enjoy the comradary you have with your dealer. To me, a good relationship with your dealer is worth more than warranty ever made, or money itself for that matter. You are a lucky man. Not only did you get one of the best saws ever made, you also have a relationship with a dealer most people would love to have. Dealer support is everything IMO.

hybridkarpower

hybridkarpower

Green eyes in the dark
I gave up on Dolmar for the exact reason !! Nothing against their saws, just the lack of dealer network & lack of factory trained techs who can fix things right the first time drove me awaaayyyy !!!!

That doesn't sound too bad. Those 460s sure do look good all shiny and new. A good dealer is a great thing. I couldn't even find cylinder bolts for a husky yesterday at 3 dealers.:help:

CR500

CR500

Diesel, Snowmobile, & Chainsaw Technician
Our locall dealer has a few 460's and they seem to sell really good and from what I hear people are really happy with them. Quick question I know my 391 has a strato engine but cany anybody tell me in a sum it up post what is different about strato engines compared to the regular engines that were used like in my 044 and the the bigger stihl saws use. I heard that john deere designed it but I could be wrong.