your opinions on this 028 Super jug please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawjo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am thinking about putting together an 028super from a parts saw I've had lying around and this is what I have for a cylinder. The bore is quite smooth and almost shiney, the photos may look like scrapes, but there not. Threre are some small nicks at the top which match up pefectly with top of piston. Something got in there and smashed around (sparkplug electrode?). The crank bearings and big end bearing are notchy and IMHO, trashed. Could this jug be put back into service with a new piston and rings? Would you guys ball-hone? Like I mentioned, the bore is in very good shape but should I try to clean up the damage/dents to the head (and how)?

Let me know what you guys think, I might source a good crankcase from e-bay and put together an 028. Gastank, ignition, carb, flywheel, brake and all plastics/covers are there and in excellent shape.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As long as there's no nicks in the cylinder wall (and I don't see any), I'd run it with a new piston! Make sure there isn't any metal "pushed up" from those dings in the roof of the cylinder that might cause piston interference. I'm sure if you're running a base gasket there won't be any issues.

if something metal got stuck in there, could it have bent the rod??

Thanks for the responses guys. I don't think the rod got bent but crank bearings and big end bearing are bad. Maybe whatever was at the top of the head wound up in the crankcase and miraculously missed the sides of the jug it looks to be a closed port design (getting a little out of my element here). So will clean up top with some finger sanding or what ever and scuff some of the shine with red scotch-brite

Thanks for the responses guys. I don't think the rod got bent but crank bearings and big end bearing are bad. Maybe whatever was at the top of the head wound up in the crankcase and miraculously missed the sides of the jug it looks to be a closed port design (getting a little out of my element here). So will clean up top with some finger sanding or what ever and scuff some of the shine with red scotch-brite

well, at least you found teh problems, a guess the bearings took teh brunt of teh force,,, somethings got to give!!
good luck with it...

Latest posts

Back