your thoughts on meteor 044 10mm piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i found some 044 10mm pistons on ebay for 30 bucks buy it now. im thinkn im going to get one for my project 044. thats a 100 dollar saveing over the stihl piston.
money is very tight right now. i can pretty much have this saw cutn wood for the price of stihl piston if i go with the meteor aftermarket.
i need filter and filter cover, complete muffler, chaincase cover, and i thin ill get 20" bar and chain and trade for the 25" bar thats on the 310 so savn that much on the piston helps alot.

what are your thoughts

thanks

Evan

I like the Meteor piston I have here and it has nice rings. Seams to be verry well made. Hands above the cheap china junk with crappy rings.

The things I don't like are it's heavier than OEM, the port windows in it are smaller, the wrist pin is heavier and the ends are tapered. But it's still much better than the cheap ones.

I just weighed some 066 parts that I'm prepping to turn the piston for a popup and turn the bases of the cylinders for setting squish and porting.

For example. (066 parts)
Meteor Piston 1467 grains Medium port windows
OEM (old style) 1386 Small port windows
OEM (mag, new style) 1356 Nice large port windows

Piston Pins
Meteor 239 grains
OEM213

If purchasing more aftermarket pistons, they will come from Meteor. Quality sems great.

matt
its not realy mine to sell

wi50

thanks for the information on the meteor pistons

I like the Meteor piston I have here and it has nice rings. Seams to be verry well made. Hands above the cheap china junk with crappy rings.

The things I don't like are it's heavier than OEM, the port windows in it are smaller, the wrist pin is heavier and the ends are tapered. But it's still much better than the cheap ones.

I just weighed some 066 parts that I'm prepping to turn the piston for a popup and turn the bases of the cylinders for setting squish and porting.

For example. (066 parts)
Meteor Piston 1467 grains Medium port windows
OEM (old style) 1386 Small port windows
OEM (mag, new style) 1356 Nice large port windows

Piston Pins
Meteor 239 grains
OEM213

If purchasing more aftermarket pistons, they will come from Meteor. Quality sems great.

Why not just put a set of oem rings in and forego the piston. A piston that is 7 1/2% heavier is not a good thing. You want reciprocating weight as light as possible, because weight decreases performance, increases vibration levels, and adds stress to the crank and rod.

The Meteor pistons are excellent. If you have a very accurate scale(grams) you could weigh the Meteor and compare with the OEM. I think that you'll find substituting the OEM wristpin will save you a gram or two. Open the windows with a round file, remove the flashing from other parts of the piston, and you'll be close to the original weight. Slightly increasing the reciprocating mass isn't necessarily a bad thing. While it might be minutely slower to rev, likewise it will be slower to lose revs(flywheel affect).

I have a Meteor 066/660 piston in front of me as I type this, and its a thing of beauty.

The Meteor pistons are excellent. If you have a very accurate scale(grams) you could weigh the Meteor and compare with the OEM. I think that you'll find substituting the OEM wristpin will save you a gram or two. Open the windows with a round file, remove the flashing from other parts of the piston, and you'll be close to the original weight. Slightly increasing the reciprocating mass isn't necessarily a bad thing. While it might be minutely slower to rev, likewise it will be slower to lose revs(flywheel affect).

I have a Meteor 066/660 piston in front of me as I type this, and its a thing of beauty.

You're not mentioning that the counterweight is designed with a specific piston weight in mind. Increasing the piston weight won't lend any "flywheel" effect to the setup because the weight is not revolving, it's reciprocating, and because the counterweight is not calibrated for the extra weight. All you'll get is more vibration and less performance.

Have one for a 064 sitting here in front of me. Not too shabby. I think I will use OEM clips and orig. piston pin.

IMG_5312.JPG

I have read in other posts where people have told that they weigh more than stock pistons. I have still only heard only good things about them. I dont beleave the weight to be a problem. If the balance of the crank ass. was a problem I dont beleave all the big bore piston and cylinder sets would be around. The added weight will also aid in more torque but at a loss of rpm speed. Rick!

It is if you like acceleration... and high rpm. Balance is less of an issue... there isn't much "truely balanced" on a single banger anyhow. Timberwolf wrote some good posts on this topic a while back.

BB pistons are bigger.... but so is the displacement.

My concern about a heavier pisiton is "why". Are they heavy due to sloppy design, or to make up for inferior metals? There is no reason to "design" a heaver piston when the lighter OEM last just fine for a couple of thousand hours..

Last edited:
I wouldn't let the weight be of any concern for the application of a working saw. You or the saw will never know the difference.

If I had a 359 and an 044, I know the 044 would get fixed up and be gone, or just sold as is for someone elses project.

I'll weigh my pistons when I get done machining the popup and then again after the piston porting to see, then post the weights. I did order a new OEM wrist pin for it and a supply of OEM retainers. I don't know when it will get done though as I have a nice OEM stihl piston that I will likely use for the next project, an 066 mag. The 066 is running strong and is fine, but it's getting ported and popup piston.

I'll set the Meteor aside for when I put an 066 cylinder on my 064 project.

I apologize for bringing up an old thread, but I'd like a few more comments on the subject. I'm strongly considering a Meteor piston for the 10mm 044 I'm resurrecting. Besides the weight difference, I read a post from earlier this year regarding the recent lack of quality in Meteor pistons. What says you?

The Meteor pistons are excellent. Slightly increasing the reciprocating mass isn't necessarily a bad thing. While it might be minutely slower to rev, likewise it will be slower to lose revs(flywheel affect).

I realize this is an old post.....but the above statement is not accurate. Added weight to rotational mass does have a flywheel affect - but added weight to reciprocating mass does not. The piston must change direction and any added weight will slow the acceleration down - and make deceleration faster. The heavier the piston - the more energy it takes to change the direction of movement (up/down/up/down....repeat as necessary).

Latest posts

Back