Zama carb question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam_MA

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Got a question.

A neighbor dropped off his chainsaw to me, it won't stay running ect. Sounded like a carb issue as he described it. Pulled the carb, the diapram is pretty stiff, and needs a kit. The outside of the carb says it's a Zama C1Q. When I look for the kit, there's a ton listed with numbers after the C1Q. How can I tell what carb I have, and where's the best place to get a kit from.

Thanks
Adam

First thing- assemble all the clues.

What make/model saw? That'll seriously winnow the list of options. Then look up that model in whatever service manual is available. That'll tell you the carb model or the (short) list of possibilities. Then look again on the carb where the model # is likely stamped. Gradually close the loop. Often, for carb kit, you don't need exact carb model, but just "series" #- the possibly cast-in info on the carb body.

Some "meta-manuals" like Clymer's cover wide range of makes/models, and can provide this info for saws built prior to 10 yrs ago, for example.

Then, too, there is no such abbreviation as "ect". None. "Et cetera", meaning "and others" is abbreviated "etc". Just look at it; take the first 3 chars. Nothing personal, lots of folks here unthinkingly do that. :jester:

C1Q is merely the body type designation

You need to locate the model number. You can find the location of the model number on this web site . . .

USA Zama : ZAMA Products

Hey, don't be ashamed to say you're working on one of those little plastic Macs that everyone hates! LOL - just a WAG because that's what's on mine. Anyway, look more carefully at the inlet and outlet surfaces for a more complete number. IIRC it has C1Q cast into the side, but the full number is stamped on one of those surfaces.

Not my favorite carb by any means, but imine does work well now. I've had trouble with the check valve on the idle nozzles that's under the oddly shaped plug.

Hey guys,
Sorry, it's a 42cc Craftsman. I can't remember the model number off the top of my head, it's like 10 digits long. I just got really frustrated looking at the carb, I couldn't find the printed model numbers on it, and the online manual and parts break down from sears only lists the replacment carb, no kit for it. Thanks for the link, I'll take another peek at it when I get home from work. If I have all the parts including a kit that he's gonna need, it's looking like around $40 in parts (and a case of beer for me) to get it going.

Thanks for the reply's

Latest posts

Back