The MS661 is for sale in the US again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was told by a rep that the only reason to remove the B&C is because the chain is likely to be moving during this period. It is more a safety thing than a necessity for the reset.

I then tried it with an MS261CM today with the B&C on, and that chain was moving pretty quick for the 90 seconds I left it on.

This is directly out of the MS661 Workshop Manual.

MS661%20Recalibration%20Procedure-L.png

So are ya'll gonna buy up new MS660's and put them on the shelf to sell on eBay two years from now for $2k a pop?

I'm not, I already have a 661 on order, but some of the guys in my part of the country already are. There are quite a few people who won't want the 661. They'll stick with technology they understand and feel comfortable with.
One guy I know bought four 660s. It's a lot of money to tie up but what will a NIB 660 be worth five years from now?

The 661 could be one hell of a saw. The problem is that the first ******* that posts a video of it cutting .00001 seconds behind a husky guys on here will call it junk. A guy on here used to say slower by seconds but faster by minutes.

I was told by a rep that the only reason to remove the B&C is because the chain is likely to be moving during this period. It is more a safety thing than a necessity for the reset.

I then tried it with an MS261CM today with the B&C on, and that chain was moving pretty quick for the 90 seconds I left it on.

I figured that the calibration process would vary the idle enough to engage the clutch, and the chain would be moving during this process, just like adjusting the low side to highest rpm, usually brings the idle up enough to engage the clutch & spin the chain.

Could just be safety, but could also be the extra load would be unexpected even if minimal.

dw

I already have two well used MS660's so I don't anticipate buying a new one. I do know that I will not be purchasing an MS661 (or any other autotune saw). Not because they're bad, but because they contain technology I don't want to have to deal with.
I only use an MS660 on rare occasions. I could get by without one as I have two 044's and an 070. However, I use it enough to make it worth having in my opinion. I mostly cut yard trees and they can get very large here in the south. A five foot diameter tree is not at all unusual and there's probably dozens or maybe even hundreds of them within a mile of my house.

This is directly out of the MS661 Workshop Manual.

MS661%20Recalibration%20Procedure-L.png
That's a very similar calibration method used in calibrating dissolved oxygen sensors in water quality instruments/meters. This calibration requires two parameters: temperature & barometric pressure. I'm not suggesting mtronics are adjusting for temperature and barometric pressure but it's very very similar. If so, this would be the same adjustments we would make to an adjustable carb for different ambient conditions such as temperature and altitude changes.

Back