The MS661 is for sale in the US again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 661 could be one hell of a saw. The problem is that the first ******* that posts a video of it cutting .00001 seconds behind a husky guys on here will call it junk. A guy on here used to say slower by seconds but faster by minutes.
It's already junk. It was recalled like the 562. It's flimsy with spring av too. [emoji6]

That's what the stihl guys said about the 562 and 550.

Honestly I hope it's a winner for them. They need to get into this century on the saw technology [emoji477]

It's already junk. It was recalled like the 562. It's flimsy with spring av too. [emoji6]

Honestly I hope it's a winner for them. They need to get into this century on the saw technology [emoji477]
Yes sir I agree....... I think it's funny with all these 661 threads popping up everyone is just concerned it it is better or faster than a 390 or 395. One person will get a 661 make 3 cuts and label the saw good or bad......

Yes sir I agree....... I think it's funny with all these 661 threads popping up everyone is just concerned it it is better or faster than a 390 or 395. One person will get a 661 make 3 cuts and label the saw good or bad......
I'm glad it didn't gain weight like a 441 over a 440. If it had I wouldn't even consider it.

We're back to the races now.
uk2.jpg
11ce28.jpg

h10.jpg
11dh.jpg

Still not strato. Steel springs don't count as 21st century tech!

They don't have a ECU.

Back again huh Brush Ape?

You need to get a life......

LOL

STIHL M-Tronic
– featured on STIHL's most advanced chain saw ever – the MS 441 C-M, STIHL M-Tronic is a full electronic controlled ignition timing and fuel metering system. The carburetor is automatically adjusted to changes in altitude, temperature and fuel quality, ensuring optimum engine performance day in and day out (2010).

That's from Stihl, Randy. ECU is an abreviation for, "Electronic Control Unit." ROFL and yes they can be hacked but it requires a break out and SOC with a bit of code. We'll go into the solenoid mods later.

I liked that Brush Ape/ Spawn guy, why do all the intelligent people get banned AS is like the Government sometimes.

Thanks Dude.
movies_star_wars_bts_pics_13.jpg

Brush Ape?

That post was clearly spam, Dex. Brush Ape has more class that that. And he's one good lookin' son of a gun.

-Don Renig

LOL

STIHL M-Tronic
– featured on STIHL's most advanced chain saw ever – the MS 441 C-M, STIHL M-Tronic is a full electronic controlled ignition timing and fuel metering system. The carburetor is automatically adjusted to changes in altitude, temperature and fuel quality, ensuring optimum engine performance day in and day out (2010).

That's from Stihl, Randy. ECU is an abreviation for, "Electronic Control Unit." ROFL and yes they can be hacked but it requires a break out and SOC with a bit of code. Well go into the solenoid mods later.

That post was clearly spam, Dex. Brush Ape has more class that that. And he's one good lookin' son of a gun.

-Don Renig
OK that makes sense. If Mtronics can adjust timing and fuel flow by determining changes in ambient conditions it has to have a sensor for measuring temperature and barometric pressure or altitude (manometer). These types of sensors don't need frequent calibrations and are usually within drift limit criteria annually or semi-annually. Those calibration instructions Brad posted means you're letting the saw "stabilize" to the current ambient conditions. I'm thinking it has a temperature sensor and a barometric pressure sensor that calibrates to a "standard" setting of 760mm HG or 29.92 inches. And if you have to bring your Mtronic saw in for "re-calibration" issues the Stihl dealer could easily verify or recalibrate those sensors (I can verify that <5 minutes with my electronic meters). There's probably additional electronic "checks" but that's my 2 cents.

If Mtronics can adjust timing and fuel flow by determining changes in ambient conditions it has to have a sensor for measuring temperature and barometric pressure or altitude (manometer).
That's not how they work. The system simply leans out the mixture every so often and watches how the rpm changes. If it goes down the mixture was too lean. If it goes up it was rich. If it goes up by just the programmed amount the mixture was just right. It can only really work at a steady throttle position, or the rpm change signal would be difficult or impossible to interpret. There may be a temp sensor, but it is not used to map the fuel mixture - the lean out test would over ride that anyway.

LOL

STIHL M-Tronic

That's from Stihl, Randy. ECU is an abreviation for, "Electronic Control Unit." ROFL and yes they can be hacked but it requires a break out and SOC with a bit of code. We'll go into the solenoid mods later.

Thanks Dude.

-Don Renig

This is Spam..

Not stating a fact..

Just Sayin. ;)

I figured that the calibration process would vary the idle enough to engage the clutch, and the chain would be moving during this process, just like adjusting the low side to highest rpm, usually brings the idle up enough to engage the clutch & spin the chain.

Could just be safety, but could also be the extra load would be unexpected even if minimal.

dw

Some will always look for excuses to not do as the manual says....:D

You let em idle for 90 seconds.......then flip em off?

Really?

Yep. Well, 60 secs minimum - no blipping, and turn it directly off. I just count to 90 to be safe, and that way I don't have to pace myself. It will always be more than 60 secs.

I have yet to remove the bar to reset the saw, tho. Don't really think it matters much, if any. Both saws(241CM and 261CM) responded rather well to the reset. The 241 was much more dynamic than the 261, tho. The 261 just sat there spinning the chain, and at times rather quickly. The 241 was hunting around all over the place. The 261, though, was a night and day difference. With a simple baffle removal and expanding the muffler opening, it acted liek it was ported - I got a 35% better cut speed. GOnna port it and check the compression tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back