Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the Fiskars got a workout this AM (see the pic), and then later in the day the 362 searched for some more solid Ash (no pic). Found a few more decent pieces on the ground, but most of them were NG.

I'm debating if it is worth dropping that dead Elm tree. Most of the branch that fell was pretty solid. The base is about 30" diam and it is slightly leaning into the woodlot. All of the bark is long gone, so it would definitely be burnable this year. It would just be a lot of work to get the wood out, and I'm not sure it is worth it. Maybe it will depend on if I find someone who wants it.

Attachments

• 2014-12-20 001.jpg
    2014-12-20 001.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 48
Duncan, getting old sucks doesn't it? Almost as bad as getting more stubborn and that hurts us more.
I did some splitting today, the big stuff was a little hard on the chest but it's getting better.
1st pic is the pile of rounds I cut up awhile ago. 2nd is starting to split. 3rd is partway thru the pile, I use my tractor to push them closer to the splitter. 4th is the pile of splits with elevator and tractor in the shot. 5th is the business side of the rebuilt Speeco. Supposed to be a lot warmer tomorrow so maybe the stacking fairy will get it stacked in the skids I made.
IMG_00001638.jpg IMG_00001849.jpg IMG_00001851.jpg IMG_00001855.jpg IMG_00001858.jpg

IMG_20141220_132152.jpg

You guys and your snow ...... No snow in our forecast for the rest of the year .

Well, the Fiskars got a workout this AM (see the pic), and then later in the day the 362 searched for some more solid Ash (no pic). Found a few more decent pieces on the ground, but most of them were NG.

I'm debating if it is worth dropping that dead Elm tree. Most of the branch that fell was pretty solid. The base is about 30" diam and it is slightly leaning into the woodlot. All of the bark is long gone, so it would definitely be burnable this year. It would just be a lot of work to get the wood out, and I'm not sure it is worth it. Maybe it will depend on if I find someone who wants it.

That's some pretty wood in the trailer!

Dead elm is some dang good wood, if it isn't too hard, and you can burn it now, and can still get to it before the snows get deep....

Muskoka, about where is your parents ranch? I've got some guys working in Gravenhurst for the next 6 weeks or so. We've got some more houses going up that way the next few months. For some reason nobody wants us spoiling their summers so we build all winter. Getting around on some of the roads up there is quite the treat.

Is the come-along for falling, or to pull down hung up trees? (serious question - I realize in these forums how things could be taken sarcastically!).

Philbert
I have never used a come-along, we always use a tractor or pickup and cable/winch. We usually hook up, tension, start cutting, then brute strength and ignorance pulls it where you want (away from what is important). I've only had one close call, 105 feet of winch line and a 100 ft tall hybrid poplar...got it a little closer to the truck than I was expecting!

Nope!

THIS is what Ambull01 needs!

Philbert

Couldn't watch it. Portable gas powered winch sounds good though. Only thing is I have to be able to carry everything on my back. My scrounge packing list is getting bigger and bigger. I really like what the Marine Corps prides itself for, improvising. Of course having the right tool for the job can't be beat but there's a level of satisfaction that can't be explained when you're able to improvise. I would love to get all these high speed gadgets, tractors, trailers, etc but then I may as well just buy my damn firewood all cut and split. I could make an exception to my improvising goal for on of these though lol.

AND, one of these:

Philbert

Too fancy for me. Plus I'm hoping I don't have to cut down tiny trees like that. Nice limbing though.

AND (of course) one of these:

Philbert

That would be awesome. Or I could just get myself a M35, deuce and a half.

Muskoka, about where is your parents ranch? I've got some guys working in Gravenhurst for the next 6 weeks or so. We've got some more houses going up that way the next few months. For some reason nobody wants us spoiling their summers so we build all winter. Getting around on some of the roads up there is quite the treat.
Just north of Port Severn. Yea if the close the 400 we cant really get anywhere lol. Gravenhurst is probably about an hour east. We are pretty close to georgian bay and we get that lake effect snow.........

Oddly enough i just brought up my welder with me last night hahahaha. How is it holding up? Only got mine this summer. The wheels if i remember use a bushing and not a bearing.....
i dont remember forsure though

Back