Clamshell mod ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl Envy

Flinging Chips
Reaction score
OK everybody, I have been reading a lot about modifying clamshell chainsaws, and noticed that everybody is talking about not being able to modify the squish. I work at an automotive machine shop where we build a lot of racing engines. I was looking at my MS 250 and wondered why you couldn't take a cut from the case half just like you do when you cut the main caps of an engine for in-line hone. So for example, if I wanted to reduce my squish by say .010", I would machine .010" off of each case half. Then assemble the case halves and machine the case out to the proper size to fit the bearings and seals. I'm not saying it wouldnt be a pain in the you know what, or take more time than it's worth. Maybe once the cases are apart it's not even possible. Like I said, I haven't even had one apart. However, for people who really enjoy their clamshell saws and want more power it might work perfect. Match a bit more compression with a little porting and you would prob have a totally different saw.

Chris in PA did just that.

It's much easier to weld a popup piston.

I'll try to find you my thread. I didn't have a lathe at the time, so I hand shaped the dome. Kinda ugly, but effective.

I'll also try to post the thread where I did one for someone after having a lathe. It's just easier.

Back