Milling flooring anyone done it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwoller

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Any tips or mistakes I should avoid? I am thinking 6 inch wide or so and 3/4 or 1 inch thick and various lengths. I have a CSM, a jointer and a planner. Also access to a kiln for drying the wood. My plan is to use a couple large Ash trees that we are losing this year. I haven't decided if I should try to do everything or if I should mill and dry it then get it squared up and send it to someone that can tongue and groove it for me?

i would cut 2 1/8 x7. find a millwork shop, they can re-saw, sticker, dry, and mill your flooring.
milling 1 inch boards with a chainsaw is a last resort for me. make them light enough to move then push them through a band saw. 1/16" vs 1/4" kerf.
Flooring is normally 3/4" finished. width is adjustable on machine. quarter sawn is more stable, less shrinkage/ gaps.
dont waste your time surfacing. a moulder has four heads, rough board in, finished flooring out in one pass.
I know there are a bunch of manufacturers in indiana that specialize in industrial wood processing eqipment, so there must be a couple of shops around.

still have a big pile of 2" VG old growth Hemlock thats meant to be V groove for my ceiling.
was gonna do in my shop but decided that even with a shaper with power feed it wasnt worth the effort.

Thanks guys. I found a mill work shop that can take my ruff sawn lumber to T and G flooring in a couple passes for a reasonable fee. Now I just have to get it milled up!

Back