3/8" Low Profile Chain Revisited-What Do you Prefer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
@Philbert and I have been trading messages about this for a couple of weeks. Just curious as to which brand/style low profile chain you are running on your smaller saws?

Secondly from what I hear, the (now NLA?) Stihl PS was probably the fastest cutting but I hear folks like the PS3 as well?

Most of my cutting has been with Oregon VX or VXL and I would say I am satisfied but knowing how much longer lasting the Stihl chain is in full 3/8 I wouldn't mind picking some up as well for LP. Also curious how the other brands hold up. I did experience the "chatter" on some of the VXL chain until it was sharpened once and the rakers were set properly.

Stihl PS is definitely smoother and faster than VXL but it seems to hold an edge forever. That has been my experience at least, I cut several truck loads of wood on a new loop of VXL and still haven't needed to touch it up yet.

I like the Stihl 0.043 stuff. Only current variant I know of is 61pmm3. From seeing pictures of earlier variants I think I will stay with the current product. I have stayed at the 44 and 45 drive lengths. Run 7 tooth drive when on the Husqvarna 338.

I have used up two loops of 56dl ps3, perhaps on my second 62 dl loop and it is very good. Any Stihl 0.050 "low profile 3/8" is more robust in the tie straps and rivets and also has more advanced oil distributing features. Is a bit higher profile off the bar at the tooth face as well.

I could buy 25 feet of the ps stuff from an ebay seller for perhaps $110 plus shipping and I think would need buy presets at the local dealer.

I haven't much interest in full chisel lo pro so I haven't bothered with PS. Otherwise I find Oregon VXL, Carlton N1 (& N1A) and TriLink all to work well. They all have long cutters and hold up well.

Oregon 91PX is actually pretty fast chain if it happens to be a loop with properly formed cutters and is well sharpened. Unfortunately, in addition to short cutters I've seen a lot of variation - sometimes the cutters are so poorly formed there isn't a well defined chamfer, rather it's a more rounded edge. Also the various lubrication features (holes in the drive tangs, tie straps with channels) appear to be randomly present or not.

I haven't much interest in full chisel lo pro so I haven't bothered with PS. Otherwise I find Oregon VXL, Carlton N1 (& N1A) and TriLink all to work well. They all have long cutters and hold up well.

Oregon 91PX is actually pretty fast chain if it happens to be a loop with properly formed cutters and is well sharpened. Unfortunately, in addition to short cutters I've seen a lot of variation - sometimes the cutters are so poorly formed there isn't a well defined chamfer, rather it's a more rounded edge. Also the various lubrication features (holes in the drive tangs, tie straps with channels) appear to be randomly present or not.
What is the story with PX I wonder? Is this chain planned for box stores where performance is secondary to price?

What is the story with PX I wonder? Is this chain planned for box stores where performance is secondary to price?
Nothing inherently wrong with it - I think the design is good if made well. I have some old loops near the end of useful life that are quite fast.

I think the short cutters is likely because the typical home owner just throws them away anyway, and it makes sense in that context. I just don't want to spend money on 2/3 of a chain.

Champher chisel.

To me it appears the px is the vx of the past with a bumper drive link. Husqvarna low pro chain at the dealer used to be the short cutter perhaps h35 and a different number when the bumper tie straps were the safety feature like I believe vg. It (px, vx, husky equivalent) would be the best choice for the lowest powered saws at least in the 0.050. It may have advantages to carvers.

To me it appears the px is the vx of the past with a bumper drive link. Husqvarna low pro chain at the dealer used to be the short cutter perhaps h35 and a different number when the bumper tie straps were the safety feature like I believe vg. It (px, vx, husky equivalent) would be the best choice for the lowest powered saws at least in the 0.050.
Yeah, VG had those nasty shark fins. I used to grind them off. The ramped drive links of PX don't really matter at all.

Are you thinking the longer cutters require more power? I'd think it was just the edge that matters, not the length.

PS no longer? Heard that before and then I order it. So whats the story this time?

PS PS3 for me please.

6003277494_ea0a98e3ed_b.jpg

35cc stock 3/8LP chain comparison in cuts. Have this thread from back in 2011 where I ran them all. PS wasnt out then but PS3 was. http://chainsawrepair.createaforum.com/chain/picco-38lp-round-chisel-cutter-chain/

Oregon 91 safety 10.96 and 10.90

Oregon 91 full skip spun when hit wood 11.09 and 10.65

Carlton N1 9.28 and 9.06

Stihl 63PS3 7.31 and 7.56

Windsor 50R 10.34 and 9.93

Oregon VXL 10.03 and 9.41

35cc stock 3/8LP chain comparison in cuts. Have this thread from back in 2011 where I ran them all. PS wasnt out then but PS3 was. http://chainsawrepair.createaforum.com/chain/picco-38lp-round-chisel-cutter-chain/

Carlton N1 9.28 and 9.06

Perfect. I remember seeing this a while back and had forgotten it was you who did it.

It is amazing there is a 50 percent increase in time from fastest to slowest!

PS no longer? Heard that before and then I order it. So whats the story this time?
Well I see PS for sale at Baileys so I am not sure on that either. $20 for a 52DL loop. As a comparison VXL is $11 for 52DL.

FWIW I know that if I can keep my chain out of the rocks on full 3/8 that Stihl RS will last more than double of LGX before needing sharpening.

Carlton N1 9.28 and 9.06

@JeremiahJohnson would you expect to see PS cut even faster than PS3 or would they cut about the same?

Well I see PS for sale at Baileys so I am not sure on that either. $20 for a 52DL loop. As a comparison VXL is $11 for 52DL.

FWIW I know that if I can keep my chain out of the rocks on full 3/8 that Stihl RS will last more than double of LGX before needing sharpening.

52 x .29 at Nates ;) = $15.08 a loop PS. Used to be .22 at other places I ordered from in 2013.

Back