3/8" Low Profile Chain Revisited-What Do you Prefer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up 12 and 14 inch GB bars for the Stihl tonight from Left Coast. With a loop of VXL for each and shipping it was under 50 bucks.

Of course this bugger has to be one or two DL different than my other lo pro saws for any given chain length. Oh well.

To me it really is simple, I don't want any saws where 3/8" lo-pro/picco is the prime choice if chain - that basically means that the saw is too small/weak for my use. I don't want to be bothered with filing those tiny cutters either.

I currently am using the 63ps and I really like it. The wood I have cut with it has been clean. I have run the 91vxl and like it as well. I ran a Carlton chain but it had a bad link and it threw the chain. It cut fine while it was cutting. I have about 4 loops of the ps that I will probably use till it wears out.

To me it really is simple, I don't want any saws where 3/8" lo-pro/picco is the prime choice if chain - that basically means that the saw is too small/weak for my use. I don't want to be bothered with filing those tiny cutters either.
I feel the opposite. It simply means you are making the saw move less wood and so can do the same work with a smaller, lighter saw. Less waste.

I find the lo pro cutters extremely easy and fast to file too.

When I see larger saws with full 3/8 bar lengths that are common in the lo pro range I wonder what the point is. A fast small saw with lo pro is fun as well as an effective tool.

I suppose you are not interested in the battery chainsaws.

If you choose to you could take the 339 and put on a sort of mis matched drive sprocket and 3/8lp set up and compare to the .325NK which has a similar weight bar but the chain itself is heavier and have a day of experimenting.

I can see how 1/4 inch chain is rare as the 3/8lp is lighter and "stretches less" Wasn't 3/8lp derived from 1/4 inch parts or designs.

I've been at Lowes, Fleet Farm, and Walmart in the last few days. It's interesting they don't stock the Stihl specific loops (44, 50, 55 DL), only the 56,52,45 etc used on the cheaper saws.

Holy moly the chain prices are high at Lowes!

I've been running woodland pro for a while now .... its got funky stuff going on out of the box I usually take the file to it right away

Holy moly the chain prices are high at Lowes!
Same thing at Northern.

Menards has the best retail prices on Oregon chain among Midwest home center type stores. They carry a variety of chains, but not much in .063, or STIHL specific loop sizes.

(I think that you need to ask Santa for a spinner breaker set - get a good one).

Philbert

I understood the "Normal for Norway" correct me if I'm wrong was small diameter wood & short bars? 16" /18" if this is so a good o pro chain would be as fast in the cut & the less weight would be an advantage But as said before "Each to his own" I guess it depends on the quantity of wood cut

Same thing at Northern.

Menards has the best retail prices on Oregon chain among Midwest home center type stores. They carry a variety of chains, but not much in .063, or STIHL specific loop sizes.

(I think that you need to ask Santa for a spinner breaker set - get a good one).

Philbert
Yeah getting into the chain making hobby might be a bad idea for me.

Except for the new Stihl I have multiple chains for every bar I own (I guess except for that pesky 59 DL bar). I try to buy through online sales to keep costs down.

To buy chains to fit Stihl specific chain length, you usually have to go to a Stihl dealer because they are the only saws that use that dl count. I usually get Stihl chain at a dealer that can spin loops so dl count is not a problem.
Right. The fleet supply up by the cabin usually has all common DL counts in Oregon as well as the Stihl specific loops in Stihl brand. They have pretty much everything but not much 3/8-.063 or .404 which isn't a problem for me.

I've been at Lowes, Fleet Farm, and Walmart in the last few days. It's interesting they don't stock the Stihl specific loops (44, 50, 55 DL), only the 56,52,45 etc used on the cheaper saws.
If you buy a cheap plastic homeowner saw with a Stihl name on it you sure don't want to ruin all that "quality" by putting a box store chain on it!

Back