3/8" Low Profile Chain Revisited-What Do you Prefer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not used them but some folk find some of the cheaper (manufactured god knows where) chain works OK for lesser used saws, it really depends on your expectations. I would use Stihl PS or PS3 but for lesser use I have had good results from Carlton Lo Pro chain although where I live it's getting a bit difficult to source.

I don't have any expectations of speed with this particular saw. It has a max RPM of 7500, so it is no speed demon regardless of what chain it has on it. Like I said, most of the use it will get is going to be trimming and limbing around farm fields. The bulk of the trees around this field is small walnut, soft maple and trees of heaven. It is all stuff that is going to be pretty dirty from being around a farm field. I am not worried about having to run a file over the teeth every other fill up. I just want some extra chains as I only have the chain that is on it right now.

That is what I was thinking. Has anyone used the Woodland Pro chains from Bailey's? They have some that are onsale right now for 10.99. I just am not sure what shipping will be for them though. I found some VXL on ebay for 13.68 shipped.

That is what I was thinking. Has anyone used the Woodland Pro chains from Bailey's? They have some that are onsale right now for 10.99. I just am not sure what shipping will be for them though. I found some VXL on ebay for 13.68 shipped.
I've been wondering about the Woogland Pro chain as well. I've been very impressed with it in standard 3/8", but I don't know if the low pro is even from the same manufacturer.

FWIW.....Left Coast has VXL for $8.99 a loop.

I have found Left Coast is usually the cheapest for chain although they ship with Fedex which is more expensive so you need to order a few items to make the shipped cost worth it.

Has anyone used the Woodland Pro chains from Bailey's? They have some that are onsale right now for 10.99.
I've been wondering about the Woogland Pro chain as well. . . . I don't know if the low pro is even from the same manufacturer.
Just ask before you buy, so that you know what you are getting. WP used to all be Carlton. Now some is Tri-Link.

Philbert

I've been wondering about the Woogland Pro chain as well. I've been very impressed with it in standard 3/8", but I don't know if the low pro is even from the same manufacturer.
They can source woodland pro chain as they see fit and their supplier produces it. I have found their produce essentially Carlton n1c, It works good sharpens easy just is a more crude product than the Oregon offerings (and of course the 63 class Stihl). Less oil distributing features for sure and probably a simpler stamping to make the tooth out of. That was last year or the year before.

Carlton N1 is simpler chain, but it's pretty fast, has long cutters and I've never had any oiling issues regardless of the lack of fancy grooves and such. It's probably the best value.

They can source woodland pro chain as they see fit and their supplier produces it.
Said that Carlton was not producing it without the reduced-kickback features, so they had to find another vendor for 'yellow chain'.

So I'm not too familiar with lo pro chain. Can you run it on a normal width 3/8 bar?
The sprocket, chain, and bar work together as a system. Change one, and you may need to change the others.

Not only are the cutters on low-profile lower, but the drive links are different. So you need to replace the drive sprocket, and the guide bar (nose sprocket) as well, even if the 'pitch' (rivet spacing) and gauge are the same as your full-sized 3/8 chain.

Philbert

Not only are the cutters on low-profile lower, but the drive links are different. So you need to replace the drive sprocket, and the guide bar (nose sprocket) as well, even if the 'pitch' (rivet spacing) and gauge are the same as your full-sized 3/8 chain.

Philbert

Both varieties of 3/8 chain have 1640 drive links per 100 feet yes. It is my understanding the actual rivet spacing is not fixed just that the two different lengths added together add up to the 0.367*2 or so whatever the arithmetic comes out.

I am guessing that the Woodland Pro is going to be Trilink, as they list it as an equivalent to the Carlton N1C.

Just looked up VXL at Left Coast in the drive link count for my saw and with shipping, it is cheaper to get the ones I found off ebay. The 13.68 per loop on ebay includes shipping.

Back