372xp Bar size ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For actual use 20"
IMG_2051.jpg

For looking pretty. 24"
IMG_2049.jpg

Yep, looks better with bigger.

Al.

OK,for thinning in the forestry, that's 15"-18" diameter pines, for a 440 or 372, an 18" - 20" bar is what you need. Thinning forests you cover a lot of ground. Fact is, on a 70cc the 18" - 20" setup is lighter, HEAPS more maneuverable/agile, FAR better balanced with MORE power/torque and cutting speed, and just all-round a superior setup. For thinning, anything over 20" on a 70cc around here is pretty much just a case of bravado and posturing! What can I say?? On the other hand, for logging the final crop, grab an 066 and use any bar length you want..

Onya PGG, well said, and correct to a "T".

Al.

a. 372 20" = im soft
b. 372 20" = im scared
c. 372 20" = i wants bigger trees but cant find them so i shoulda got a 357
d. 372 20" = i wants a 372 so i looks like a logger, but i is not a logger
e. 372 20" = i shoulda bought a 357 now that those gosh darn fuel prices are so high
f. 372 20" = i is too tight for a 24" bar.
g. 372 20" = I is only doing firewood and I is havin all the time in the world to make 2 cuts per round
h. 372 20" = my dealer told me this was what i needed. but he is a good dealer.
i. 372 20" = trees dont grow that big here anyway, but I really needed all that power to cut down these vines to keep the local tooth pic factory in business
j. I think that balance is when the saw is in a cut and the motor is so heavy in comparison that the bar is always wanting to sit up and say "hi"
k. the saw is "home use only." I had a guy come and cut down a tree for me, he was using a 372.

Pick one.

Nah just kidding ya'll. It may be different elsewhere, but I can tell ya right now that in NZ 80% of 372's in nz are running 22" or 24"

Not taking the pi$$ PGG, im sure your 20" works great :)

a. 372 20" = im soft
b. 372 20" = im scared
c. 372 20" = i wants bigger trees but cant find them so i shoulda got a 357
d. 372 20" = i wants a 372 so i looks like a logger, but i is not a logger
e. 372 20" = i shoulda bought a 357 now that those gosh darn fuel prices are so high
f. 372 20" = i is too tight for a 24" bar.
g. 372 20" = I is only doing firewood and I is havin all the time in the world to make 2 cuts per round
h. 372 20" = my dealer told me this was what i needed. but he is a good dealer.
i. 372 20" = trees dont grow that big here anyway, but I really needed all that power to cut down these vines to keep the local tooth pic factory in business
j. I think that balance is when the saw is in a cut and the motor is so heavy in comparison that the bar is always wanting to sit up and say "hi"
k. the saw is "home use only." I had a guy come and cut down a tree for me, he was using a 372.

Pick one.

Nah just kidding ya'll. It may be different elsewhere, but I can tell ya right now that in NZ 80% of 372's in nz are running 22" or 24"

Not taking the pi$$ PGG, im sure your 20" works great :)

Heh heh. Thats funny stuff. Maybe just New Zealanders and Aussies would understand it...
Sadly though its possibly based on fact :)
All the 372's I've seen have had 24" bars.

Last edited:
Heh heh. Thats funny stuff. Maybe just New Zealanders and Aussies would understand it...

Most of the few I have seen here (Norway and Sweden) has an 18" bar on them...........

......but then the MS660 is sold with a 15" bar here.....:monkey: :monkey:

Haywood touched on what I wanted to say, but I'll repeat it anyway, for ####es and giggles...

It really does depend a lot on the wood you cut. Yes a smaller bar is cheaper and the chain has fewer cutters to sharpen, but that doesn't do me any good when I have a 2 foot dia maple to buck. I'm one to let the saw "ride the kerf" and I generally only use the dogs for felling, and the saw does not hesitate (bone stock) in 24" of wood.

So, since I'm too cheap to keep two sizes of bars and four chains on hand, I go with the bigger bar. Yes the saw would be lighter with a shorter bar for limbing, but it is not worth the extra money to me.

Another good reason for the longer bar is I'm of the opinion that when felling, it's always better if the bar is at leas as big as the tree. It's safer and easier, especially for those of us that don't fell everyday (or for the whole of the warm weather months, for that matter).

Maybe because people lack imagination and own thoughts, and just buy what the dealers recommend - and the saws do look good with a 24" on......:)

.....something like the 13/14" bars almost everyone have on the smaller saws (about 50cc and less) here....

Btw, Welcome to the AS! :cheers:

Last edited:
Maybe because people lack imagination and own thoughts, and just buy what the dealers recommend - and the saws do look good with a 24" on......:)

Btw, Welcome to the AS! :cheers:

Actually all the 372's I've seen in the flesh have been on dealer's shelves with 24" bars and you're right, they look good :)

Good forum too, enjoying all the reading and info ;)

found a 24" perfect for the 372 for felling and bucking got an 18" if i wanna get speedy when logging with it though!

bar--------------->

24" or go cryin to yur moma when your backi iz screamin in agonyyyyyyyy. les bending and les work when limin

Latest posts

Back